How to apply torsional spring in Workbench?

Hello,

I'm creating a simulation in which I want to restrain all degrees of freedom of a vertex with spring elements (springs needed for post-processing). Essentially, I'm looking to replicate a Nastran CBUSH element with stiffness values applied to all 6 DOF. My plan was to apply 3 springs, each with an appropriate longitudinal and torsional stiffness; however, when I insert a spring in Workbench, it defaults to a longitudinal spring and does not allow any modifications or implementation of torsional stiffness.

Is there a way that torsional stiffness can be added to longitudinal springs in Workbench? Alternatively, is there a more efficient way to restrain all six DOF at a vertex using joints (one that would still allow me to probe reaction forces and moments)? I would be grateful for any suggestions!

Best Answer

• gnagappgnagapp Forum Coordinator
    Accepted Answer

@ebone2god To define a torsional spring in WB Mechanical, turn on beta options. Go to WB Project schematic and go to Tools -> Options -> Appearance and then turn on “Beta options”. In Mechanical, insert a spring under the connections folder. Switch the type to torsional from longitudinal. Specify the stiffness and damping. Set the Scope to Body-Ground. You can specify the ground location(Reference) and select the geometry

Answers

• @ebone2god

There are two ways to replicate a Nastran CBUSH in ANSYS and you can find them if you type CBUSH into this site's search bar. Click on the magnifying glass icon to the right of the Free Student Software link.

• gnagappgnagapp Forum Coordinator
    Accepted Answer

@ebone2god To define a torsional spring in WB Mechanical, turn on beta options. Go to WB Project schematic and go to Tools -> Options -> Appearance and then turn on “Beta options”. In Mechanical, insert a spring under the connections folder. Switch the type to torsional from longitudinal. Specify the stiffness and damping. Set the Scope to Body-Ground. You can specify the ground location(Reference) and select the geometry