Current Density Problem

Hi,

I am working in eddy current solver in geometry like below. The cross-sections you see are the cross-section of a copper conductor. When I look at the current densities, I see the image below. I expect the current to condense outward due to eddy current and skin effect effect, but here it is constant. Where could I have done wrong?

Note: I set eddy effects.

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• icellb1icellb1 Forum Coordinator

Hi,

May I ask how you assigned the excitation, what frequency you are simulating the conductors at, and what the radius of the cross section of the conductor is?

Also, looks like the conductors are touching each other, did you assign insulation boundaries?

• Hi icellb1,

select faces>assign exciation>current. I simulated at 50Hz. r=0.2mm. I didn't assign insulation boundaries.

• icellb1icellb1 Forum Coordinator
    Accepted Answer

Hi,

At 50Hz, skin depth of copper is much larger than 0.2 mm, that's probably why you don't see non-uniform current density due to skin effect.

• Hi @icellb1,

Thank you very much for your help, What should be the minimum radius for copper at 50 hz? How can I calculate this min radius value for different frequencies and materials. If you have a formulation, I would appreciate it if you share it with me.