UDF for Liquid Metal Simulation

valiant77valiant77 Member Posts: 5

Greeting,

I need help regarding the simulation of liquid metal in Ansys fluent.

I've been working to simulate a flow of liquid metal in a tube and trying to analyze its heat transfer performance, the problem is many papers tells that in Ansys for a low Prandtl number such liquid metal is not to sufficient yet to simulate the viscous. it needs to use another method for modelling the turbulence of liquid metal with low Pr. My question is if I would like to use these turbulence modelling that from a paper for the liquid metals should I use the UDF function to define that new model?

Thanks

Answers

• KremellaKremella Admin Posts: 2,326

Hello,

This depends on what equations (or terms) you wish to add. If you are simply adding additional terms to an existing equation in Fluent, you can do so by using a UDF.

However, my question to you would be - what equation do you wish to use for your simulation?

Thank you.

Karthik

• valiant77valiant77 Member Posts: 5

Thank you very much for the feedback, sir.

Where can I see all the equation that is being used in Fluent?

There recent research that simulates a liquid metal with low Pr called "the Kay turbulence model", in the paper, it gives all the correlation for modelling the turbulence of the liquid metal.

Thank you.

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator Posts: 8,371

Everything is covered in the Theory Manual and references given there. The exact implementation and coding aren't available as that's ours. As @Kremella mentioned, additions to existing models can be made via UDFs, and they're also covered in the documentation.

Thank you very much.

I just want to make sure, so if there some other model that can be used to simulate the turbulence flow of a liquid metal such as the case that I am working on, it is suggested to use the UDF to define those equations and apply it in Ansys fluent.

We have the general purpose turbulence models (ke, kw, RSM, etc) and the option to modify these (to an extent) via UDFs.

ok, thanks a lot. Appreciate it, sir.

in the manual, is it also show how to use the UDFs? I had no experience in using the UDFs before.

The UDF manual has some guidance and examples, and we also offer (paid for) training.

How to know the price of the training course?

• KremellaKremella Admin Posts: 2,326

Hello,

Please connect with your Academic Advisor or Ansys Support Coordinator (ASC) of your institution. They should be able to enquire about the training with your regional Ansys Account Manager.

Thank you.

Karthik