Named selection of a plane of triangulated STL file for applying parameters.

This is my first time using ANSYS so this is a basic question. I am using a porous cubic material and I want to select the faces on the top surface. Since I am using an STL file my entire geometry is divided into triangulated faces. how can I select all the triangular faces on the top surface without selecting any of those in the pores? When I use box select it always selected the faces in the depressed pores too. I want to apply parameters to this selected face. Can anyone please help me?

Best Answer

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    Accepted Answer

@Rajdeep_11

I don't use 3-matic so I don't know what it does well.

One thing you can do in SpaceClaim before you mesh is to convert the STL back to a Facet Body and try to use the Shrinkwrap tool on the facet body to put fewer smooth faces over the facets.

Answers

• @Rajdeep_11

Open the Geometry in SpaceClaim. Create a Plane on the top of the block.

Use the Move tool to move the Plane 0.1 mm in the -Y direction.

Use the Split Body tool to split the solid body with the Plane and delete the sliver solid.

Now you have one big face on the top of the block.

You could use the Pull tool to pull that face 0.1 mm in the +Y direction if you want to restore the original thickness.

• @peteroznewman I actually did that but I have already generated the volume meshes in 3-matic. So when I tried to do some calculations there were some errors. Should I skip the volume mesh generation part there and take it to space claim as it is?

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    Accepted Answer

@Rajdeep_11

I don't use 3-matic so I don't know what it does well.

One thing you can do in SpaceClaim before you mesh is to convert the STL back to a Facet Body and try to use the Shrinkwrap tool on the facet body to put fewer smooth faces over the facets.

• Thank you! The shrinkwrap tool solved the issue.