Is it possible to simulate Litz wire in Maxwell 3D without using Litz wire material?

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to simulate a transformer with Litz wire winding using the 3D transient solver. I know that from 2019 R3 we can assign a conductor as Litz wire, but I dont want to use this because I'm not sure how the Litz wire is modelled.

Since it is almost impossible to model an actual Litz wire in the simulation, I used a solid conductor in which I want to assume that the current is distributed uniformly across all strands. This means that the proximity effect caused by other strands inside the same conductor is negligible.

The thing is, I want to simulate a transformer where there are several Litz wire in close proximity which is why the proximity effect caused by neighboring wire should be taken into account.

In summary, I want to get the AC winding loss caused by the proximity effect from different wires but not the proximity effect caused by the strands in the same wire.

Is there any way to do this in Maxwell 3D?

Thanks.

Answers

• nchodenchode Forum Coordinator
    edited January 8

Hi,

You can model the Litz wire in Transient or Eddy current solvers

You can take the skin and proximity effects into account by modeling the wire as Litz wire

1. Create a stranded excitation
    2. In the material properties for the coil change the composition to Litz and set the number of Litz strands as well as strands diameters.

Please refer to maxwell help > "Litz wire modeling" section.

Regards,

Navya

• @nchode Thanks for your response.

Actually, my concern when using the Litz wire model is whether the proximity effect due to the flux from other wire is also taken into account.

Suppose I have 4 Litz wires in close proximity to each other. I don't know if the proximity effect between them will affect the winding loss or not since the excitation is set to stranded (as far as I know, stranded excitation will only consider DC loss).