Eccentric loading on APDL

I am using Beam 188 to modal the following beam in Ansys APDL. I am confused about applying point load Fz and Fy as the forces are certain distance above element node( top of beam section) as shown in section A. Can any one help me to guide how can I apply this eccentric load . Than you

Best Answers

• danielshawdanielshaw Forum Coordinator
    Accepted Answer

The location of the beam node is defined by the SECOFFSET command. By default, it is located at the beam centroid. If you want to apply loads at another location, you could calculate the equivalent forces and moments at the centroid and apply them at the centroid (probably the simplest approach). You could also create a node (and maybe a small MASS21 element) at the location of the load application and attach that node to beam node using constraint equations (CE command).

Accepted Answer

I am not aware of any videos, but directly creating nodes/elements, and using constraint equations are explained in the MAPDL Modeling and Meshing Guide.

Answers

Accepted Answer

The location of the beam node is defined by the SECOFFSET command. By default, it is located at the beam centroid. If you want to apply loads at another location, you could calculate the equivalent forces and moments at the centroid and apply them at the centroid (probably the simplest approach). You could also create a node (and maybe a small MASS21 element) at the location of the load application and attach that node to beam node using constraint equations (CE command).

• Thank you, Can you suggest me how to create the mass 21 element and attached using CE command. Is there any video or links that I can refer to.?

Accepted Answer

I am not aware of any videos, but directly creating nodes/elements, and using constraint equations are explained in the MAPDL Modeling and Meshing Guide.

• Thank you for you answer. I am very grateful

I have another problem. when I created extra key point for the purpose of orientation and after meshing the element, nodes are generated automatically as shown in the figure. The nodes are seen in the element as well as above the element in the space as shown in the figure. I don't know it is normal or not, the extra nodes in above space cant be deleted as it says it is attached to the element . can you suggest me how can I solve this problem.?