How to perform thermal analysis of motor using icepak

Good morning all,

i modeled my motor in rmxprt. i exported it to icepak. i am using Aedt 2020. But it take time for it to be worked on inside the icepak. is there any guide or tutorial that shows steps on how to accurately carry out thermal analysis using icepak

Comments

• nchodenchode Forum Coordinator
    edited January 14

Hi @NuelWeta 

Did you take a look at the getting started guides in the help section?

What do you mean by "it take time for it to be worked on inside the icepak"

Is it taking more time to simulate or are you getting any error?

Best Regards

Navya

• Thank you Sir for your prompt reply. What i meant is that it is taking time (like 15-20mins) to simulate, is there a way to reduce it?. Actually, i have gone through the materials and some online videos (though i havent seen any one that worked on motors). With the knowledge i have i was able to perform the analysis in icepak but my temperature results were high. See the attached image

I have the following questions;

1) How and where can i add 'heat sinks' in order to reduce the high temperature as observed because i am working on thermal management of the model?

2) Can i perform transient thermal analysis of the model in icepak?

2) How can i remove the two rectangular boxes (contours) that enclosed the model

3) Is there a way i can export a maxwell model to icepak instead of following the conventional means of exporting from rmxprt to icepak?

Thank you Sir.

• satyasatya Member

Hi,

I guess the answers to all your questions can be found in the user guide and the tutorials in the link below.

CFD simulations typically take longer to run. You should not be surprised if they sometimes take a few hours. Another key step to focus on is mesh generation. A mesh can make or break a CFD simulation. So I would recommend you to invest significant time in understanding mesh generation. I would also recommend you to look into basic CFD courses or books. My recommendation would be read "An introduction to computational fluid dynamics" by Versteeg and Malalasekara.

A Maxwell model can be easily coupled with Icepak in AEDT interface. If you are using Workbench, there are tutorials in the link above that show you how to couple Maxwell and Icepak.

Best,

Satyajeet