Can i use noseparation contact for large and small sliding in Static analysis.

vamshimashettyvamshimashetty Member Posts: 5
edited January 14 in Structural Mechanics

Hi,

I am trying to solve a shaft and cylinder kind of problem in static analysis. Can I see the movement of the cylinder using static analysis or should I have to use transient analysis?

As i was instructed to use static analysis since only small sliding is possible in my analysis. But when i use no separation contact in my simulation i can not observe any displacement. Can anyone please let me know what is the problem.

Best Answer

• jjdoylejjdoyle PittsburghMember Posts: 97
    Accepted Answer

You would only need to run a transient analysis if inertia effects (acceleration of mass and damping over time) are significant.

It is hard to say why your results are not as expected. No separation is a linear contact behavior where status will always be closed and sliding.

Perhaps you need to turn on Large Deformation or perhaps your loading and constraints are not correct.

Answers

• jjdoylejjdoyle PittsburghMember Posts: 97
    Accepted Answer

You would only need to run a transient analysis if inertia effects (acceleration of mass and damping over time) are significant.

It is hard to say why your results are not as expected. No separation is a linear contact behavior where status will always be closed and sliding.

Perhaps you need to turn on Large Deformation or perhaps your loading and constraints are not correct.

• vamshimashettyvamshimashetty Member Posts: 5

Thanks for your response.Now i have understood when to use transient analysis.