HASEL Actuator

Hey guys,

I've been working on modelling the HASEL actuator, specifically the peano HASEL actuator ( demonstrated in the following video). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TKjJBZEZe4

I'm having trouble matching my simulated results with the results in practise. before showing how I modelled the HASEL actuator below in Fig 1. shows how the HASEL actuator should look when it is 'fully strained'.

Fig 1. the desired result that I want to simulate

I modelled the HASEL actuator in 2D with 3 element types as shown in Fig 2. below

Fig 2. PLANE183 to represent the pouch (shown by the white board around the actuator)

HSFLD241 to represent the fluid (shown in purple)

TRANS126 to represent the electrodes force on the actuator (shown in red)

the mesh seems to me be good, with a few exceptions at the ends of the actuator.

My issue is when I solve the model I can never quite reach the 'full strain' which is effecting my results giving zero displacement where the load would be attached Fig 3.

Fig 3. a contour plot of the x displacement for the HASEL after a voltage has been applied. The red circle is were the load would be attached and the red square is the corresponding contour displacement value.

No matter what is do I can not reach that full strain or get any reasonable strain at the load.

I even tried using the 'penalty method' to set the electrodes final displacement to the 'fully strained' position and I got the same result.

I seem to have reached some sort of limit with either the PLANE183 or the HSFLD241 that I can't exceed.

Please let me know if anything isn't clear.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards

Levi

Comments

This discussion has been closed.