Pressure or Force in lateral loading conditions?

vaibhavtaranekarvaibhavtaranekar Member Posts: 66

Hello everyone, I am simulating a RCC Column subjected to axial load at top and lateral displacement at some distance from top. Now i am wondering what kind of behaviour will be exhibited on a column having load of 4 stories above it? Should i consider it as pressure load or axial load on face. I am getting different results with both the cases and hence I am a little confused.

Here's a picture for reference along with graph.

Best Answer

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member Posts: 11,071
    Accepted Answer

@vaibhavtaranekar

An important difference between pressure and force is that pressure is always normal to the face it is applied to, while force always maintains the same direction.

This means that as the displacement pushes the top of the column sideways, the top rotates a little, and that small angle rotates the net force of the pressure, so there is now a horizontal component and a reduced vertical component of force from the pressure. The force load remains vertical at the constant value.

Answers

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member Posts: 11,071
    Accepted Answer

@vaibhavtaranekar

An important difference between pressure and force is that pressure is always normal to the face it is applied to, while force always maintains the same direction.

This means that as the displacement pushes the top of the column sideways, the top rotates a little, and that small angle rotates the net force of the pressure, so there is now a horizontal component and a reduced vertical component of force from the pressure. The force load remains vertical at the constant value.