Elapsed time exceeded cpu time..

Comments

• Whiteney1991Whiteney1991 Member Posts: 9

Hi, I am getting an error of "elapsed time exceeded the CPU time by an excessive margin" when running ANSYS on a core i7, 8th Generation HP Probook 430 G5 laptop with the following properties: Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @1.80GHz 1.99GHz; Installed RAM - 32 GB ( I upgraded it from 8GB); System type - 64 bit OS, x64 bases processor.

What could the problem? Kindly advise since the results are not as expected.

Thank you in advance.

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator Posts: 8,371

I suspect the two parts to your question aren't linked. The cpu warning implies you may be paging to disc so check RAM usage during the calculation.

Re the results, check mesh resolution and boundary conditions. The Mechanical experts will be able to assist more if you provide more details of the set up.

• Whiteney1991Whiteney1991 Member Posts: 9

@Rob thank you for your feedback. About the question not being linked, I thought the laptop specifications might contribute to that but seems like they do not. Kindly elaborate what you mean by paging to disc?

Is there anyone from Mechanical to assist as recommended by @Rob ? I am willing to share any information, about the simulation, that will lead to resolving that error. Thank you in advance.

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator Posts: 8,371

@peteroznewman and @Aniket are the Mech experts. I just about follow that if you apply force stuff bends, and if you bend it too far it'll break. Where Young's Ratio and Poisson's Modulus come into it is a complete mystery.

Paging to disc is when the hardware runs out of RAM and starts dumping the overflow to the disc. Discs are slow compared to RAM so the whole solution slows down. With the old rotating disc drives you could hear it, and occasionally smell it as the bearings gave out.

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member Posts: 11,072

@Whiteney1991

It's a Warning message not an Error message. The system solved, it just took longer than it could have.

Are you storing your model on a network drive and not the local C: drive? Don't ever do that. Access time to a network drive is very slow.

If the file is stored on the local disk and that is a spinning hard disk, you can get better performance by installing a Solid State Drive (SSD).

You can add that as a second drive letter D: or you can rebuild the computer and replace the C: drive with a SSD.

The model file looks relatively small, so I doubt you ran out of RAM.