Ansys Learning Forum Maintenance

NOTICE: We will be performing backend maintenance of our Learning Forum from April 5 to April 12, 2021. The result will be a new infrastructure but with little impact to user experience and design. Currently the forum is accessible in read-only mode as we complete our final migration. Thank you for your patience. For urgent issues please visit HERE.

How to access solution data from a user material subroutine (UserMat or UserMatTh)? — Ansys Learning Forum

How to access solution data from a user material subroutine (UserMat or UserMatTh)?

Volker_SlowikVolker_Slowik Member Posts: 2

I am using the user routines UserMat and UserMAtTh for material modelling. Out of the routine, I want to access user state variables for an element other than the current one (other than the one the user routine has been called for). I expected that this can be done by the provided subroutine (API) get_ElmData (kchar, elemId, kMatRecPt, ncomp, vect). However, this subroutine seems to work only for the current element, not for other elements. The element number elemId specified as input for the subroutine is ignored. The output contains always data for the integration points of the current element. Does someone have an idea how to access user state variables of other elements? 

Tagged:

Best Answer

• DavidWDavidW Evanston, ILForum Coordinator Posts: 66
    Accepted Answer

Hi @Volker_Slowik,

I spoke to one of our developers and they indicated that there are no routines to get data from other elements from inside a UPF. This capability is not supported but some customers have implemented methods to do it (one potential route would be storing and retrieving data from external files, but note that doing so is not a standard or supported feature of ANSYS software).

Answers

• DavidWDavidW Evanston, ILForum Coordinator Posts: 66
    Accepted Answer

Hi @Volker_Slowik,

I spoke to one of our developers and they indicated that there are no routines to get data from other elements from inside a UPF. This capability is not supported but some customers have implemented methods to do it (one potential route would be storing and retrieving data from external files, but note that doing so is not a standard or supported feature of ANSYS software).

• Volker_SlowikVolker_Slowik Member Posts: 2

Thank you for responding to my question. Very clear answer.