Should I use a pressure-based solver or a density-based solver for two different inlet types?

abd fsabd fs Member Posts: 159

Dear researchers, I want to simulate a flow (air) in a wind tunnel, and I want to integrate a fluidic actuator inside it in order to control the separation of the boundary layer. At the blower inlet a velocity of 30m / s is imposed and at the inlet of the fluidic actuator of 0.3 MPa is imposed. My question are:

should I use Pressure Based Solver or a Density-Based Solver?

Best Answer

Answers

• YasserSelimaYasserSelima Member Posts: 431

If your Mach numbers are less than 0.3, use the Pressure-based solver.

• KremellaKremella Admin Posts: 2,326

Hi,

What kind of Mach numbers are you expecting to investigate? If you are working in strong supersonic or hypersonic flow regimes, I might use the density-based solver.

Based on your question, this does not seem like the case. The pressure-based solver in Fluent is quite capable of handling mild to strong compressibility effects. I'd use this in your problem.

Karthik

• abd fsabd fs Member Posts: 159

Dear researchers, thank you for your quick responses.

The purpose of adding a fluidic actuator is to change the turbulent boundary layer. For more information about my work, I have divided my work plan into three stages.

firstly I did a detailed study on the fluid actuator where I used a Based -density solver tool with ideal gas as the oscillator offers high velocity of 130m / s and an oscillation frequency of 298 Hz The results are in good agreement with the experimental results.

Second, I am simulating turbulent flow in a wind tunnel using a Based-pressure solver with air as a liquid, and the results agree well with the experimental experience.

Now I want to unify the geometric shapes with each other as shown above.

1- Should I use the ideal air or gas?

2- Should I use a pressure-based converter or a density based converter?

Hi,

1. If your flow is compressible, use the Ideal Gas Law to model air.
    2. I think you should be able to use the pressure-based solver. Based on the velocity scales, the flow seems midly compressible.

Karthik

Dear Kremella thank so much for your inspiring answers.

Am I allowed to use air as a fluid with the Based-density solver?

Best regard,

SERRAR

Hello,

Yes, you should be able to use air. There are no such restrictions as long as you keep the density of the fluid floating.

Karthik

Dear Kremella,

1- what do you mean by keeping the density of the fluid floating?

2- how can I check this condition?

Best regards,

SERRAR

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator Posts: 8,371

If the material is compressible you need to model it as such, ie above about 0.3M use ideal gas density.

Dear Rob,

the simulation of a turbulent flow in a wind tunnel at a velocity of 20m / s equivalent to 72km / h, is similar to a simulation around a flow around a vehicle so the flow is incompressible. However, the problem arises when adding the actuator which is supplied by a pressure of 0.3 MPa and a Mach number equal to 0.45 at its output.

Best Regads,

SERRAR

Accepted Answer

Please use the Ideal gas law for material density. Also, use the Pressure-Based solver.

Karthik