Ansys Learning Forum Maintenance

NOTICE: We will be performing backend maintenance of our Learning Forum from April 5 to April 12, 2021. The result will be a new infrastructure but with little impact to user experience and design. Currently the forum is accessible in read-only mode as we complete our final migration. Thank you for your patience. For urgent issues please visit HERE.

Displacement controlled loading — Ansys Learning Forum

Displacement controlled loading

Hi!

I'm studying a masonry arch made of brick and mortar. The contact between these two bodies is "frictional". Having reached a certain value of the applied forces, the solution does not converge (it is as if the collapse of the structure had been reached). My goal was, however, to plot the force-displacement curve, so, I assigned increasing displacements. In this case, however, the solution always converges and, consequently, through "Solution>Insert>Probe>Force reaction", I do not achieve my goal. What do you suggest you do?

Thanks in advance

Answers

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member Posts: 11,369

@gianbil

You should reply with images of your geometry, the mesh, the supports, the forces, the displacements, the plot of the results. What your goal is and why you don't think it has been achieved.

• gianbilgianbil Member Posts: 3

I'm going to submit the attached file to you, which should clarify my goals. Thank you

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member Posts: 11,369
    edited February 27

@gianbil,

If you want input from ANSYS staff, insert all the images and text into your reply, then they can read them too. They are not permitted to download attachments. I am not ANSYS staff.

You say the graph below is your goal. What do you get when you Probe the Y component of the Reaction Force at the fixed supports?

• gianbilgianbil Member Posts: 3

The figure illustrates the applied forces and external constraints on the masonry arch model. Brick and Mortar are in frictional contact. 

The solution shows that as the friction coefficient increases, the model offers a greater capacity to resist, in the sense that the breaking load takes on higher values. This is, for example, a force-displacement diagram.

So far everything is ok, but the problem arises when, instead of the load, I cheque for increasing displacements.

In this case, however, the solution is always convergent and contrasts the model examined before, that is, with increasing force, which showed a breaking load. Therefore, with  Solution>Insert>Probe>Force reaction ( Y component of the Reaction Force at the fixed supports), I obviously get this diagram and not what I would have expected and that we have defined as the goal of the research.

Is this a modeling problem or what?

Thanks in advance