Random distributed voids in Spaceclaim

PeterhaasPeterhaas Member Posts: 1

Hello,

I want to simulate a cantilever beam with randomly distributed empty spaces. I tried to create empty and to move them with the displacement tool. I parameterized x,y and z dispalcement and randomized them with an excel table. However, the space moves in one direction only.

Are there better methods to create randomly distributed voids in Spaceclaim?

Thank you in advance!

Peter Haas

Comments

• ramgopisettiramgopisetti Posts: 102Member

Hi @Peterhaas , you can certainly use Material design (particel composite) and save the geomentry to .scdoc file and open in other window and use boolean to subract the particels from the Parent geomentry, in this you can parametrise the randomness and size distribution of the voids, Post an image for full support

Cheers,

Ram

• PeterhaasPeterhaas Posts: 5Member

Hi Ramgopiestty, thanks for your fast response. Unfortunatly Ansys student donn´t include Material Designer.

The model has fixed support at larger end. I have halved my model on symetry axis to reduce element size.

Regards,

Peter

Hi @Peterhaas , Based on your description, i guess you want to model foam or some type of particel composite. There are two basic approaches as follows

1) Microstructure

2) Material Homogenisation Material model

Microstructure Method involves creating the RVE using procedural design offered in Grasshopper plugin, dynamo or by creating some python scripts

Material Homogenisation involves using the test data of foam or particle composite and use an material model to analyse the response. This method is fast and effective and easy for beginners.

Choose a method and comment down for better support in further

Cheers

Ram

edited March 2

Hallo Ramgoposetti,

Material Homogenisation sounds right. It is not foam, I want to take into account defects in my sample. Do I need material modeller for this method? Ansys Student doesn´t include Material Designer. I actually have some testdates like defect Volume and meausured bending stress.

Regards

Peter

Hi @Peterhaas , If you choose to use Material Homogenisation method, YOu need to test the data and modle into appropoiate Material model based on your requirement say just elastic response or with plastic respose. The test sample shoul have your requried defects so it generates accurate Stress strain model. The material modeller is out of question you cannot use for full body, you can model an unit and evaluate the properties.

check the following, i used Algorithmic Design to model the Defects, mostly with spheres,You can control the voids percentage. This is one way to model the Defects Algorithmically we called as Procedural design -----------> Hope you enjoy this.

The limitation is you cannot parametrise them but you have to create each geoementry for percentage of defects in your solid.I have used some sample load by defining an Aluminium Alloy, i know its different material but i got to use what i have so here is the results.

Comment down your progression for futher assisitance.

Cheers,

Ram

edited March 17

Hello @ramgopisetti ,

i would have to get a new graphic card for Rhino and it took some time. The spaces from grashopper are not saved by Rhino. It is only saved as two different files. Is there a method to save them as a whole, like in your screenschot?

Would it be possible for the spheres to have different diameters?

Regards

Peter

hi @Peterhaas , which screenshot are you referering to ?

you can controle the size of the voids by passign them to the distrubution node.

cheers

Ram

Hi @ramgopisetti ,

only the model without Grashopper modifications is exported. After the bake, the voids turn into solids (spheres). It´s like your second Screenshot but with solid spheres.

Regards

Peter

@Peterhaas , you need to export and do Boolean in design modeller or space claim and u need to bake all components individually

cheers, Ram