Ansys Learning Forum Maintenance

NOTICE: We will be performing backend maintenance of our Learning Forum from April 5 to April 12, 2021. The result will be a new infrastructure but with little impact to user experience and design. Currently the forum is accessible in read-only mode as we complete our final migration. Thank you for your patience. For urgent issues please visit HERE.

Contacts & APDL RC Concrete — Ansys Learning Forum

Contacts & APDL RC Concrete

78407840 Member Posts: 1
edited March 10 in Structures

Hello all,

I'm currently trying to carry out analysis on confinement in concrete columns. It is a simple concept of concentrically loaded columns and I am essentially loading until failure. The models tend to look like the image below.

I have attempted to model the concrete using SOLID65 and the steel rebar as LINK180 using line bodies and defining them as link truss elements in mechanical. The rebar has been modelled discretely and I have attempted to define the contact between the two materials by ensuring the mesh of both materials are coincident and using a CEINTF command.

The results seem reasonable however they become less accurate as I increase the amount of steel links (i.e. confinement). The models seem to underestimate the confinement. Also I have found in some cases, the steel links in models of high confinement don't reach yield which I would assume unusual.

Is the use of the Ceintf command + Link 180 elements suitable for modelling the brittle failure in this case?

I have defined the concrete stress strain behavior through APDL and also failure as shown below. I avoided providing the uniaxial compressive stress as I got poor results from even the most simple of concrete structures.

I'm just trying to understand what is happening in the ANSYS model. Any insight would be much appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• jjdoylejjdoyle PittsburghMember Posts: 118

I am not entirely sure what is wrong with your setup, but perhaps you need to adjust the volume ratio associate with real constants for the reinforcement.

Since SOLID65 is an archived element technology, I would recommend you switch to solid18x series elements and use one of the reinforcement options described in Chapter 14 of the R2020-R2 Structural Analysis Guide. (Mesh Independent , Discrete or Smeared Reinforcing). There are three documented APDL examples in this Section of the docs.