Ansys Learning Forum Maintenance

NOTICE: We will be performing backend maintenance of our Learning Forum from April 5 to April 12, 2021. The result will be a new infrastructure but with little impact to user experience and design. Currently the forum is accessible in read-only mode as we complete our final migration. Thank you for your patience. For urgent issues please visit HERE.

Can anyone help me step by step to compiling a UDF for a single dof system? — Ansys Learning Forum

Can anyone help me step by step to compiling a UDF for a single dof system?

sugarl14sugarl14 Member Posts: 19

I have a wave energy converter that I am modeling that consists of a flap that is hinged to the sea floor, only allowing rotation (see general idea below)

I'm trying to write and compile a UDF that only allows rotation about the hinge, but I'm having trouble compiling it. I know ANSYS 20 has the ability to compile UDF's using fluent, but I only have access to Ansys 18.1. I have downloaded Microsoft Visual, and have created a text file "flap.txt" that I converted to "flap.c", but ANSYS is still not reading it properly.

There are no spaces in my file directory, and the "flap.c" file is saved where my output values are stored.

Can anyone provide a step-by-step process for writing a UDF, compiling it using MS Visual, and then importing it to Fluent? I've never done this before so I'd appreciate as much detail as possible!

Thank you!

Answers