How to do a parameter study with rigid bodies ?

yungpvyungpv Member Posts: 2

Hello,

I wanted to do a parameter study of a simulation with rigid bodies involved. My problem is that the bodies are set to "flexible" for every new parameter. I've already looked into the Python API to change it by using a script but I couldn't find ways to change it. Is there any other way to solve that ?

Kind regards

Answers

• yungpvyungpv Posts: 8Member

I actually found a way to do it by scripting but the problem is now that the parameter study doesn't run the script before running the calculation.

• ramgopisettiramgopisetti Posts: 102Member

hello @yungpv , if the bodies are set to flexible for every simulation run (DP) why not make it flexible in the sytem ? , is there any specific reason ?

cheers

Ram

Thank you for your answer @ramgopisetti.

I would like to have the specific bodies not deforming but I think I could solve that with a high Young’s Modulus. My main issue is actually that the Student Version has numerical limits.

Hi @yungpv , could you able to explain the details of your simulation and goals so that better suggestions can be made.

@ramgopisetti Ok, sorry, I'll try to explain it here. I want to model a deep drawing process with Static Structural. Since my version is limited to academic teaching and I only want to see results from the metal sheet, I decided to change the other bodies to rigid. With the parameter study I wanted to see the results for different thickness or stamp diameters and compare them to analytic results.

So another option I thought about is to edit the Mesh just so that the bodies I don't care about are sized very rough and the sheet and the contact regions are sized properly. This is what I would do if I couldn't turn the bodies rigid by automation.

Kind regards

Hi @yungpv, Its cear now, if you want to do deep drawing with dies and punch, the method is to make all die and puch to be rigid and apply some size constraints of mesh making the sheet to be flexible and proceed with the simulation , makign the bodies rigid will lightweight the simulation. Makign the dies to be flexible will make up another case, Remeber to use the Adaptivity for the sheet metal to accuratley capture the deformed shape.

commentign on your approach of making the bodies to be rigid and flexibale by parametric control is kind of unconvenctional but you have other option in LSDYNA WB , where yu can contole the body type using the rigid to deformable, where you can control via timing, comment down your response or corrections we are here to help.

cheers Ram.