Ansys Learning Forum Maintenance

NOTICE: We will be performing backend maintenance of our Learning Forum from April 5 to April 12, 2021. The result will be a new infrastructure but with little impact to user experience and design. Currently the forum is accessible in read-only mode as we complete our final migration. Thank you for your patience. For urgent issues please visit HERE.

Annular pipe to circular pipe velcoity calculation — Ansys Learning Forum

Annular pipe to circular pipe velcoity calculation

Lugia_06Lugia_06 Member Posts: 82
edited March 20 in Fluid Mechanics

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how to estimate velocity v2 in the circular pipe if given the velocity in an upstream annular pipe is v1? t is a very small gap compared to l1 and l2 so the flow travels in a different direction as shown in the diagram.

Initially, I was thinking of using mass conservation so the velocity only related to the cross-section area ratio. However, I am not sure how to account for the velocity loss in direction change and the vortices generated at the turning angle.

Another idea is to use the Bernoulli equation and accounts for the minor losses at the turn and at circular pipe 2. However, I only know P1 at the upstream but not sure about P2.

Any hints would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Lugia_06

Answers