Ansys Learning Forum Maintenance

NOTICE: We will be performing backend maintenance of our Learning Forum from April 5 to April 12, 2021. The result will be a new infrastructure but with little impact to user experience and design. Currently the forum is accessible in read-only mode as we complete our final migration. Thank you for your patience. For urgent issues please visit HERE.

Troubleshooting RSM problems (for Intel MPI) — Ansys Learning Forum

Troubleshooting RSM problems (for Intel MPI)

apr37apr37 Member Posts: 30

Hello,

I have ANSYS EDT 2021 R1 installed on a few computers, along with RSM service and the Intel MPI. Last week I was able to successfully analyze a simulation using multiple machines in a HPC configuration, but this week some of the compute node machines are not cooperating. While running an analysis, message manager tells me

[error] Unable to locate or start COM engine on '[compute node]' : Unable to reach AnsoftRSMService.

And when I go to 'Test Machines' in the analysis configuration, the problem machines say ANS_CANNOT_CONNECTTO_ANSOFTRSMSERVICE

I check for proper MPI behavior on the compute nodes using the following commands in command prompt:

C:\Windows\system32>hydra_service -status

Response: hydra service running on [compute node]

and

mpiexec -validate

Response: SUCCESS

Firewalls on all machines have been turned off.

What troubleshooting steps can I take from here to try and narrow down the problem? I remember when I used to use the IBM MPI, I could use the following command to check for MPI function between two machines:

"%MPI_ROOT%\bin\mpirun" -hostlist localhost:2,[compute node DNS name]:2 "%ANSYSEM_ROOT201%\schedulers\diagnostics\Utils\pcmpi_test.exe"

Is there a similar command for use with the Intel MPI?

Any other suggestions are also appreciated.

Thank you!

-Alex

Tagged:

Best Answer

• mmadoremmadore Ansys Employee Posts: 823
    Accepted Answer

@apr37 Please make sure you have installed Ansoft RSM on all machines and registered the engines.

http://storage.ansys.com/doclinks/videos.html?code=InsElecRSMonWindows-VLU-K0a

To test Intel MPI:

Try this - first with existing computer and then add the new one - you can add/remove by adding from ': -n 2 computername "C:\Program Files\AnsysEM\AnsysEM21.1\Win64\schedulers\diagnostics\Utils\intelmpi_test.exe"' onward for each computer.

"C:\Program Files\AnsysEM\AnsysEM21.1\Win64\common\fluent_mpi\multiport\mpi\win64\intel\bin\mpiexec" -n 2 -host computer1 "C:\Program Files\AnsysEM\AnsysEM21.1\Win64\schedulers\diagnostics\Utils\intelmpi_test.exe" : -n 2 -host computer2 "C:\Program Files\AnsysEM\AnsysEM21.1\Win64\schedulers\diagnostics\Utils\intelmpi_test.exe"

Output should be something like:

Intel MPI

Hello world! I'm rank 0 of 4 running on computer1

Hello world! I'm rank 1 of 4 running on computer1

Hello world! I'm rank 2 of 4 running on computer2

Hello world! I'm rank 3 of 4 running on computer2

Thank you,

Matt

Answers

• mmadoremmadore Ansys Employee Posts: 823
    Accepted Answer

@apr37 Please make sure you have installed Ansoft RSM on all machines and registered the engines.

http://storage.ansys.com/doclinks/videos.html?code=InsElecRSMonWindows-VLU-K0a

To test Intel MPI:

Try this - first with existing computer and then add the new one - you can add/remove by adding from ': -n 2 computername "C:\Program Files\AnsysEM\AnsysEM21.1\Win64\schedulers\diagnostics\Utils\intelmpi_test.exe"' onward for each computer.

"C:\Program Files\AnsysEM\AnsysEM21.1\Win64\common\fluent_mpi\multiport\mpi\win64\intel\bin\mpiexec" -n 2 -host computer1 "C:\Program Files\AnsysEM\AnsysEM21.1\Win64\schedulers\diagnostics\Utils\intelmpi_test.exe" : -n 2 -host computer2 "C:\Program Files\AnsysEM\AnsysEM21.1\Win64\schedulers\diagnostics\Utils\intelmpi_test.exe"

Output should be something like:

Intel MPI

Hello world! I'm rank 0 of 4 running on computer1

Hello world! I'm rank 1 of 4 running on computer1

Hello world! I'm rank 2 of 4 running on computer2

Hello world! I'm rank 3 of 4 running on computer2

Thank you,

Matt

• apr37apr37 Member Posts: 30

Alright! Looks like even though I had installed and registered RSM on all the computers, somewhere along the line something happened that required me to do it again. At first I attempted to go straight to registering with RSM and on the affected computers several errors were returned along the lines of

"C:/Program Fiels/AnsysEM/AnsusEM21.1/Win64/RXPRTCOMENGINE.exe: Error obtaining status

> Please make sure that Remote Simulation Manager is installed and running"

I did a repair installation of RSM, re-registered successfully, and now I am once again able to do distributed solves with those machines.

Also, your suggested Intel MPI test command worked as expected for me. Thanks for that, too.