How to set realistic ballistic impact conditions

Pulsar123Pulsar123 Member Posts: 5
edited March 24 in Explicit Dynamics

Dear all,

I'm not sure if this question is better suited in the materials forum, but I am trying to model a realistic bullet impact simulation in explicit dynamics. I have successfully run the simulation several times on various surfaces. I have used Johnson-Cook parameters and specified material properties. However, I am not sure if Ansys automatically accounts for kinematic strengthening and other stress/strain effects on the materials. Any insights would be appreciated as to how much information I am required to input to maximise accuracy of the damage and plasticity models.

(Note: I do not have any self-conducted experimental data to make a comparison to).

Thank you.

Answers

• cxquancxquan Berkeley, CAPosts: 89Forum Coordinator

In Explicit Dynamics system, once simulation is done, you can highlight the Solution in Tree Outline and then click on Worksheet on the top toolbar to open the window of User-Defined Results.

Among these results, you can plot YLD_STRESS to watch the change of current yield stress with plastic strain (strain hardening), plastic strain rate (strain rate hardening), and local temperature (thermal softening).

You can also plot EPS_RATE for Effective Plastic Strain Rate or other stress/strain components to monitor their change in time and in space.