Ansys Learning Forum Maintenance

NOTICE: We will be performing backend maintenance of our Learning Forum from April 5 to April 12, 2021. The result will be a new infrastructure but with little impact to user experience and design. Currently the forum is accessible in read-only mode as we complete our final migration. Thank you for your patience. For urgent issues please visit HERE.

LED in Interconnect — Ansys Learning Forum

LED in Interconnect

riccardocasulariccardocasula Member Posts: 5

Would it be possible to implement an LED model (or even a micro-LED) into INTERCONNECT in the same manner of TWLM and what would that require? Does my question make any sense?

Many thanks

Riccardo

Tagged:

Comments

• GWANGGWANG Ansys Employee Posts: 40

Hi riccardocasula,

It is not easy to define incoherent light sources in INTERCONNECT though it is possible to import arbitrary waveform. It requires a file defines the time steps, magnitude and phase of the light signal: https://kx.lumerical.com/t/arbitrary-waveform-generators-from-file-for-interconnect/40965. I am not so sure this is very useful for the LED source.

• riccardocasulariccardocasula Member Posts: 5

Hi gwang, thanks for your reply. On the other hand I am also particularly interested in generating a waveform from a micro-LED as per the example offered. Do you advise anything in this regard? Regards

• GWANGGWANG Ansys Employee Posts: 40

Hi riccardocasula ,

If you can get the waveform time step, magnitude and phase information from the micro-LED, you can just plug them in the text file as in the linked exmpale, then just load it into INTERCONNECT.

• riccardocasulariccardocasula Member Posts: 5

However, but please correct me if I am wrong, it seems that the micro-LED model in FDTD does not simulate the generation of the EM fields from the materials as the dipole source is assumed, as well as its time signal which is arbitrarily set. Therefore the time signal recorded from time monitor after simulation wouldn't give the 'real' representation of the device waveform as this would depend on the electrical inputs. What solver could return a waveform of a micro-LED from an electrical input? There is this possibility? Thanks