Meshin of a multiple thin layer "Sandwich" construction

RoThurnRoThurn Member Posts: 2

Hi,

im modelling a "Sandwich-Plate" of different materials. There are 7 Layers from between 1.5mm to 0.075mm in thickness. I reduced the Surface are with 2 Symmetries, but the plate is still 500mm x 700mm. The idea is to modell the bending of the plate from Temperature change and the different thermal expansion coefficients. Therefor i use a static thermal with a static structural to measure fore and deformation.

The problem i have, is that the Meshing creates a lot of Elements and my system cant handle the load or it just takes days tot calculate. The Mesh size i want to have is round 10x the thickness, i controll the Mesh size with "Mesh size" for every layer separately. Because the surface area is so big, it creates a lot of elements on the surface when i Mesh the 0.075m layer. Also i still have only 1 Elements in Z-axis (thickness), but is so thin that i guess its okay to have only 1?

I saw in other disscussion that i could use Shell Elements. However i still get too many Elements. Does anybody have experiences in Modelling a multiple layer board, that has bog surface area, with very thin layers?

Thank you for your help, this is my first post and im not very competent in Ansys workbench either. So if you need any more Infos to help me, please let me know.

best

Rothu

Answers

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Posts: 11,404Member
    edited March 26

@RoThurn

Use ACP (Pre) to define the layers in the stackup.

That way, you use a single layer of shell elements, but the material is the stackup that you defined.

Watch some YouTube videos on how to use ACP (Pre) to define the stackup.

I am fortunate to have access to the ANSYS Learning Hub, so I took the ACP introduction course.

I am interested to practice ACP (Pre) so if you reply with the full definition of the 7 layers, I will help you.

Say which version of ANSYS you are using in your reply.

• RoThurnRoThurn Posts: 5Member

Hi Peter,

thanks for reply. I just googled it and it seems promising. I will watch the Tutorials on YouTube for sure. If you want to help, that would be great as well. So we can maybe compare our results after.

The layers are as followed:

1.5mm first Sheet in Aluminium

.4mm 2nd Sheet in PET (Plastic)

.4mm 3rd Sheet in EVA (Plastic)

.4mm 4th Sheet in Silicon anisotropic

.4mm 5th Sheet in EVA (Plastic)

.075mm 6th Sheet in PET (Plastic)

Dimensions 500mmx700mm with 2 Symmetries (its a quarter of a plate)

my Ansys version is "Workbench 2020 R1"

thank you for your help!

best Rothu

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Posts: 11,404Member
    edited March 27

@RoThurn

Thank you for the thickness and names of the six layers.

I have the properties for Aluminum but for PET and EVA, please reply with the Young's Modulus and Poisson's Ratio (or Shear Modulus).

I am especially interested in the Anisotropic Silicon. There are two possible crystal lattice planes that the sheet can be cut parallel to. Which crystal lattice plane is this sheet aligned with? Do you have the full Anisotropic Material Stiffness constants for this material?