Ansys Learning Forum Maintenance

NOTICE: We will be performing backend maintenance of our Learning Forum from April 5 to April 12, 2021. The result will be a new infrastructure but with little impact to user experience and design. Currently the forum is accessible in read-only mode as we complete our final migration. Thank you for your patience. For urgent issues please visit HERE.

Eliminate the reflected stress wave of the boundary in a blasting simulation — Ansys Learning Forum

Eliminate the reflected stress wave of the boundary in a blasting simulation

MinerMiner Member Posts: 13

Hi all,

No matter what parameters, *BOUNDARY_NON_REFLECTING could not eliminate the reflected stress wave. Because the boundary in my model must be constrained, *MAT_PML is not suitable for my simulation. Any suggestion to effectively eliminate the reflected wave of boundary?

Thanks

Comments

• jdayjday Member Posts: 8

If you constrain the boundary nodes not to translate, any effect of the non_reflecting boundary is negated. What you should do is apply nodal forces to represent the "constrained boundary". To do that, see *LOAD_SPCFORC.

• MinerMiner Member Posts: 13
    edited March 31

Thank you very much for your response. I am doing a blasting simulation with preload. Preload is obtained by implicit solution (*LOAD_SEGMENT_SET), and then do the blasting simulation by including the dynain file in the explicit solution. If the boundary was not constrained during the explicit solution, the preload is not steady as the following figure shows,

According to your suggestions, I added *LOAD_SPCFORC, and removed *BOUNDARY_SPC_SET at the non-reflecting boundary (explicit solution), which could not make the preload steady. Could you please elaborate on this?

Thanks in advance.

• jdayjday Member Posts: 8

Try this ...

Run 1:

Use *boundary_spc to constrain nodes, e.g., on the sides and bottom of

a soil mesh.

Apply gravity and solve for static or quasi-static equilibrium.

Can use DR, implicit, explicit with damping... whatever method you prefer.

Run 2:

Do a full restart where *boundary_spc are removed and replaced

with *boundary_non_reflecting.

Add *load_spcforc command.

The code will take spc forces stored in dump file (not spcforc file)

and apply them to the corresponding nodes.  These forces are

automatically held constant with time.

Thank you for the detailed steps. I followed your suggestions but I still didn't make it. Here are my steps,

This a thin plate model, and displacement along z-direction is constrained in both simulations.

In the explicit simulation, I added *BOUNDARY_NON_REFLECTING and *LOAD_SPCFORC, and then run the simulation as usual.

I also tried DR for preload, then do a full restart analysis using d3dump01 (*load_spcforc  and *STRESS_INITIALIZATION are added). But it could not maintain the preload steady during dynamic phase.

It works. 😀 Thank you @jday . There are some elements near the boundary show oscillations, but its variations are very small and can be neglected. Your suggestions helped me a lot.