Ansys Learning Forum Maintenance

NOTICE: We will be performing backend maintenance of our Learning Forum from April 5 to April 12, 2021. The result will be a new infrastructure but with little impact to user experience and design. Currently the forum is accessible in read-only mode as we complete our final migration. Thank you for your patience. For urgent issues please visit HERE.

How to add liquidus and solidus temperature for solid? — Ansys Learning Forum

How to add liquidus and solidus temperature for solid?

PinalPinal Member Posts: 5

I have already turned on the solidification and melting option. I can see the solidus option in fluid only.

Best Answer

• YasserSelimaYasserSelima Member Posts: 929
    Accepted Answer

From models, select multiphase ... then select your model .. VOF, or mixture ... then define your two phases. Select the materials you created ... and then go to phase interaction tab .. there you will find three tabs .. second one is for mass transfer. Increase the number of mass transfer modes to 1. then you can select melting,-solidification.

Answers

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator Posts: 8,851

The solidus/liquidus temperature is for a FLUID material only. Any nominally flowing materials such as "frozen" liquids and granular phases are still fluids regardless of their thermodynamic state. The solid materials are used for regions such as walls and blocks where only thermal conduction is solved.

• PinalPinal Member Posts: 5

Agreed, but when a material (solid) is heated above the melting point in that case solidus and liquidus temperature is required for solidification and melting or to see melt pool.

@Pinal

In this case you define two fluids ... one describing the properties of liquid state, and one defining the properties of solid state. And in your model, you need to include a mechanism for mass transfer between these two materials.

@YasserSelima

Thank you for the answer. Could you please guide me on how can I incorporate mass transfer in ANSYS?

Accepted Answer

From models, select multiphase ... then select your model .. VOF, or mixture ... then define your two phases. Select the materials you created ... and then go to phase interaction tab .. there you will find three tabs .. second one is for mass transfer. Increase the number of mass transfer modes to 1. then you can select melting,-solidification.

edited March 31
  • RobRob UKForum Coordinator Posts: 8,851

To clarify, the "solid" in Fluent is something that can only move my mesh deformation. The solidification/melting model works on the fluid only and "freezes" that fluid so it doesn't move, it does not turn the frozen material into a solid.

In simulation phases and other definitions are slightly different. So oil and water would be considered as two phases even though they're both liquids. Similarly two different sized grannular particles of the same material would be set as two distinct granular phases, and they're be a fluid material type as they "flow" and move with the carrier fluid phase.

As per your suggestion, instead of solid I have considered the material in the fluid stage. Now when I follow these steps (From models, select multiphase ... then select your model .. VOF, or a mixture ... then define your two phases. Select the materials you created ... and then go to the phase interaction tab .. there you will find three tabs .. the second one is for mass transfer. Increase the number of mass transfer modes to 1. then you can select melting,-solidification.) instead of melting and solidification, I can see the option of evaporation and condensation, which is obvious because of how can liquid melt further, did we miss something?

Sorry, my bad .. I was wrong.

The procedure is explained in Chapter 28 in the user guide manual, you can access it from here

Press the help button in Fluent, this will open your browser. Copy and paste this link in the same browser

https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v202/en/flu_ug/flu_ug_chp_melt_freeze.html?q=melting