simulation error on HEAT

vincevince Member Posts: 2

Hi support team,

Referencing to this example https://support.lumerical.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042328774

I'm trying to simulate a thermal phase shifter. The structure is a simple Si waveguide heated by a n-doped Si heater. However, it returns always a tessellation error as in the screenshot.

This is the my simulation file.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

Thanks a lot,

Vince

Best Answer

• kghaffarikghaffari Posts: 69Ansys Employee
    edited April 2 Accepted Answer

Hi Vince,

Thanks for reaching out. We are not allowed to download any attachments on the forum (reference post). Given your description of the issue I have the following recommendations:

1 – First, please check that the doping is applied to your simulation as intended. For this, switch to partition mode, click on the doping object, and take note of the shown green box and highlighted region in the simulation.

2 - Please check your doped material (Si) settings. Make sure that doping dependence is enabled in the settings and electrical conductivity and other parameters here are set properly.

3 – If the previous settings are correct, it would be worth monitoring the results for current as this will dictate the amount of heating. Does the generated current match your expectations for this structure? This should help better identify the issue as you continue the troubleshooting and compare the results with external sources or measurements.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Khashayar

Answers

• vincevince Posts: 7Member
    edited April 1

Dear support team,

I change the mesh setting in HEAT to 'hybrid', then add a layer of air at the top of the structure for convection. The calculation runs successfully. However, the temperature map I obtained doesn't change at all for different voltage input from 0 to 7V. It seems there isn't heating from the doped silicon. Does anyone have any idea what is the problem?

I attached the new simulation file.

Thanks,

Vince

• vincevince Posts: 7Member

Hi Khashayar,

It works very well when I correct the doping object. Thanks for your help.

Vince