Ansys Learning Forum Maintenance

NOTICE: We will be performing backend maintenance of our Learning Forum from April 5 to April 12, 2021. The result will be a new infrastructure but with little impact to user experience and design. Currently the forum is accessible in read-only mode as we complete our final migration. Thank you for your patience. For urgent issues please visit HERE.

Extracting Surface Area of a droplet — Ansys Learning Forum

Extracting Surface Area of a droplet

harshabharadwaj1harshabharadwaj1 Member Posts: 39

Hello,

I am trying to extract the surface area of a deforming droplet and I am getting inaccurate numbers.

To do this, I create to Surface Reports --> Area and then select the iso-surface of the droplet.

The droplet deforms/ elongates at different rates under different conditions and visibly there is a significant difference in surface area. But, when I extract the surface area I get almost same numbers for these conditions.

I am a bit unsure if what I am extracting is indeed surface area or not.

Can someone please help me out with this?

Comments

• YasserSelimaYasserSelima Member Posts: 929

First question I would ask myself, what defines the surface area? I believe the answer would be the high gradient of VOF ...

Through a UDF, save the VOF in UDS and find the absolute gradient of the UDS ... create iso surface

• harshabharadwaj1harshabharadwaj1 Member Posts: 39

Hello @YasserSelima ,

Thanks for the reply sir. Could you please elaborate?

I studied a bit about User Defined Scalars, but to a starter it does not make much sense to me.

Is there anyway I can do this without having to write a UDF?