Ansys Learning Forum Maintenance

NOTICE: We will be performing backend maintenance of our Learning Forum from April 5 to April 12, 2021. The result will be a new infrastructure but with little impact to user experience and design. Currently the forum is accessible in read-only mode as we complete our final migration. Thank you for your patience. For urgent issues please visit HERE.

Thermally Tuned waveguide example Script Equation — Ansys Learning Forum

Thermally Tuned waveguide example Script Equation

mattsarg555mattsarg555 Member Posts: 7

Good Morning,

I asked a previous question on the form but figured I may need to start another thread.

In regards to the example 'Thermally Tuned Waveguide (FDE)' seen here:

we are provided with an equation to use within Mode defined as:

Phase = 2*pi*(neff-neff0)*L/lambda

The script sets L as 200e-6. Why is that? What does this variable represent? I need to know this info in case I need to alter the script for use in different simulations

Best Answer

• gsungsun Ansys Employee Posts: 227
    Accepted Answer

I believe those questions are replied in other post. But for later reference, I reply here also:

L is set to be 200e-6 meter for device length, or the propagation length; Although in the GUI we can set the unit in um or nm, in scripting, all quantities are in mks system, eg, for length, it is in meter.

Since the formula uses pi, it is in radian.

Answers

• mattsarg555mattsarg555 Member Posts: 7

also does the phase equation above provide the shift in degrees or radians?

• gsungsun Ansys Employee Posts: 227
    Accepted Answer

I believe those questions are replied in other post. But for later reference, I reply here also:

L is set to be 200e-6 meter for device length, or the propagation length; Although in the GUI we can set the unit in um or nm, in scripting, all quantities are in mks system, eg, for length, it is in meter.

Since the formula uses pi, it is in radian.