Why the large body was not taken into account in the transient analysis.

Dear community members,

I wanted to carry a transient structural analysis for a historic mosque using a 10-second scaled accelerogram. I transferred the model from Solidworks. I used SOLID187 as a finite element. For the same model, I also performed nonlinear static and modal analysis under gravitational loads. Although there was no problem in these two analyzes, I was able to calculate the stress and deformation values for the minaret only in the transient analysis. I was able to calculate very very small stress, strain values on the main body as if the main body was hardly ever affected by the acceleration. I could not evaluate as to what caused this situation. I should mention that the minaret is integrated with the main body and rises from inside the main body. Besides, in the model, the minaret was modeled as a separate solid body and the contact surface between the main body and minaret was defined as bonded contact.

I would be grateful for your help in this matter.

Best regards.

Sozen.

Comments

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Posts: 11,486Member

@ssozen_72

This looks like a reasonable result. Only the minaret tower has a low natural frequency. If that is removed from the model, the large body has a much higher natural frequency. I expect the frequency content of the acceleration time-history has content much closer to the minaret than the large body.

• ssozen_72ssozen_72 Posts: 12Member

First of all, thank you sincerely for your interest. In fact, there are examples of this type of building analyzed with its minaret in the literature, but maybe the main structures except for the minaret may not be that big.

Considering your suggestion, I will remove the minaret from the model and analyze it in that way.

Thank you again.

Best regards.