HEAT norm length solver question

mattsarg555mattsarg555 Member Posts: 4

Good Morning ANSYS community,

I am using Lumerical currently to monitor the thermal effect on a wave guide. Below I have attached the picture of my model where the heater is in dark gray and the waveguide is imbedded in a layer of SiO2. When using the norm length which I have set at 100um (1mm), this is the devices length in the z-direction. My question is if my waveguide is longer than my heater, will there not be a residual thermal effect at the two ends of the heater which propagate past the 100um distance I have set now? This thermal effect would slightly effect the waveguides temperature at points >100 Does lumerical take this into consideration? How can I model this?

I have attached a solidworks image below to hopefully aid in the understanding of my question. Essentially, how I interpret it, the norm length is solving for everything in blue, but one the heater ends some of that thermal will effect the waveguide running past the boxes of red.

Answers

• kghaffarikghaffari Posts: 69Ansys Employee

Hi,

In 2D the norm length scales the indicated cross section, so to include the effects due to non-uniformity you would need to run a 3D simulation. This could mean a much longer simulation time depending on the size of your structure.

Kind regards