Error In Mesh Analysis with CHARGE for Photonics Design School Project

NyarlathotepNyarlathotep Member Posts: 1

Dear Lumerical Fam,

So we're trying this design project, and of the three of us, Nelson (a Mac user), his mesh analysis is working pretty fine. But for both Jake and I, (PC users) we're getting an error (attached), that does not allow us to move past 15% progress. Im PRETTY sure it has something to do with an incompatibility with Win10 since the error is LocalHost, and the code associated with it (0xc00000fd) is a Win code associated with either a corrupted file (unlikely since it opens and runs) or a version incompatibility with either the app or the OS. Anyone have any idea for a fix for this? We're usuing a premade model provided by our professor, and it seems like the files were created back in 2019.

Any thoughts? Thanks again in advance!!

Charles

Best Answers

• mattjtoumamattjtouma Posts: 2Member
    Accepted Answer

Hi I am also having the same problem. My Windows 10 computer has 16GB of RAM which I assume is more than sufficient. I tried saving the project as a different name but that didn't work. I'm not sure how to start the project from scratch since our professor didn't show us because he was rushed at the end of the semester.

• mattjtoumamattjtouma Posts: 2Member
    edited April 29 Accepted Answer

I found a solution! You have to adjust the min edge length and max edge length in the mesh tab of the CHARGE settings.

Right click on CHARGE and then Edit object. I set the min edge length to be smaller than the smallest edge I'm using, and I set the max edge length to be larger than the largest edge in my design.

• LitoLito Posts: 54Ansys Employee
    Accepted Answer

Glad to hear that you resolved the issue.

Answers

• NyarlathotepNyarlathotep Posts: 5Member

EDIT: Were using the mesh simulation as a part of the Lumerical CHARGE program

@Nyarlathotep, can you try and paste the screenshot. We are unable to download and open attachments.

Hey thanks SO much for getting back to me! Here it is, I'm sorry, I thought I did it correctly.

edited April 26

@Lito My prof tried to tell us that it had something to do with the number of cores enabled on my processor (I disagree) and THEN he said that other students in the past have "Messed with the parameters," and gotten it to work, but I dont understand HOW that could be, because our friend uses a Mac and he used all the same values we tried to use, but he actually got results. So it doesnt make sense to me that it would work for him and not us. So my train of thought was it has something to do with this prebuild solar cell that our prof provided us- I think he uses a MAC, so it would make sense it would work on the MAC, and apparently he said something about making this file for PC on Windows 7? Which rings some alarm bells, to me, because error code 0xc00000fd is a corrupted file/incompatible file error, with the OS. So far only the three of us have tried to do the project so far (its due in a week so I am sure the rest of the class, who uses PC's will attempt it 24 hours before and start panicking), so I am not 100% sure this will affect all the other PC users in the class, but im 95% certain that it will. Thanks again for the response! I really hope we can figure this out.

edited April 28

@Nyarlathotep

What is the RAM on the Mac computer? What is the RAM on the Windows PC?

Which version of Lumerical is on the Mac computer and which version of Lumerical is running on the 3 Windows PCs that are generating the error?

It might be a incompatibility with the Lumerical version aside from the OS issue. Have you tried to re-create the simulation/project from scratch based on the original? Or check with your professor if there is script to create the simulation/project. Otherwise try to make changes to the original simulation and "Save as" a new simulation with different filename with the version of Lumerical running on your PC.

Im pretty sure that all our computers are running 8gbs of ram. We are all running win10 64 bit, with the latest version of Lumerical. Very fortunate Matt found the solution, I suspect our professor did this intentionally to further his narrative of the superiority of Mac VS PC's. Thanks for the help, Lito.