Export electrostatic field from Lumerical CHARGE as a DCard

A_TofiniA_Tofini Member Posts: 3
edited May 21 in Photonics

Is there a way to export the electrostatic field result from CHARGE as a DCard so that I can import it in MODE to do a mode overlap calculation?

-Alex

Best Answer

• kghaffarikghaffari Posts: 80Ansys Employee
    Accepted Answer

Thanks for the explanation. I don’t think you can use the software’s overlap calculation capability (like what is available in MODE) for the electric field in CHARGE.

You do however have the option to export the electric field to a MATLAB file. From your description it seems like this could be helpful to export the data and perform the calculations yourself. To do this you can a) use an “Electric Field” monitor and enable the “save data” option to export it to a MATLAB file (similar to what is done in the pn phase shifter example for charge profile) or b) rely on the electric field results automatically saved in the solver. You can use commands to export the variables (like E, x,y,z, and elements) to the script environment and then save them as a database into a MATLAB file (through matlabsave command). Hope this helps.

Best,

Khashayar

Answers

• kghaffarikghaffari Posts: 80Ansys Employee

Hi Alex,

As far as I know we don't import electrostatics into MODE. Of course you can perform mode overlap calculations inside MODE using the d-card, but I'm not sure how having the field from CHARGE can be helpful. Can you explain a bit more about what your simulation goals are? On the other hand as you know the charge distribution can be imported from CHARGE to calculate the index perturbation and its impact on the mode.

Best,

Khashayar

• A_TofiniA_Tofini Posts: 6Member

We were trying to do a field overlap integral for the electrostatic field inside a slotted waveguide compare to the modal field propagating within it. I wanted to compare the overlap of the electrostatic field resulting from polling a PN junction with the x component of the modal field. Since CHARGE does no let the electrostatic field to be exported as a .mat this was not cut and dry. I tried to manually export it as a DCard but MODE would not read it. We found a potential way to simplify our expression to ignore this influence but I do want to confirm our assumption.

-Alex