Pressure distribution on the airfoil

AbubakarAbubakar Member Posts: 46

Hi,

Can anyone please explain to me the pressure distribution(PFA) on the airfoil?

Thank you,

Abubakar khan

Tagged:

Comments

• KremellaKremella Posts: 3,123Admin

Hello,

This is merely an illustration to show that there is a pressure distribution on the surface of the airfoil and the corresponding pressure force acts perpendicular to the surface. In addition to this, there is also viscous forces. These two forces contribute towards the net aerodynamic forces on the airfoil.

Do you have a specific question in mind?

Karthik

• AbubakarAbubakar Posts: 140Member

Actually, I am studying the pressure distribution on the airfoil I have studied a lot and watched some youtube videos as well but all they have different theories to explain this problem.

So, I request can you please explain to me How does the pressure get increases on the lower surface airfoil? TIA

Hi,

What you are asking is an excellent question, one which baffles researchers to this day.

One theory is that air accelerates around the corner of the airfoil (along the upper edge) and this creates a local low pressure compared to the bottom. This is based on Bernoulli's theorem. Another theory is based on Newton's third law. The wing exerts a downward push, which results in an equal and opposite upward push by the surrounding air. You might want to read about these competing theories in an article that was published in "Scientific American". Google - "No One Can Explain Why Planes Stay in the Air" for the details. It is a nice read.

Karthik

• AbubakarAbubakar Posts: 140Member

Thank you so much @Kremella sir sure I will read it.