I can't apply the same force for two different bodies

I am designing a lightweight concrete composite brick which is infilled with different material in the middle. The infilled parts are different bodies. When I apply force to the brick only the brick gets deformed meanwhile the other infilled bodies are not deformed. How can I make them to deform under a force applied in the y-axis?

The results are the same even if i use the same materials for all the bodies. I have attached a simulation video for better clarification

Comments

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Posts: 12,758Member
    edited September 25

@Pratish153

There are two ways to get the infill to deform with brick.

1. Use Bonded Contact. Hide the brick. Under the connections folder, insert Contact. Select the faces of the infill cylinders for the Contact side of the contact. Invert the visibility. Edit the contact and select the faces of the holes in the brick for the Target side of the contact.
    2. Use Shared Topology. Open the geometry in SpaceClaim, go to the Workbench Tab and click the Share button then accept with the green check mark the automatically found coincident faces. Open the geometry in Mechanical. You may have to repair the Fixed and Force boundary conditions. When you mesh, the elements around the face of the infill will share nodes with the elements around the face of the hole. There is no need to use Bonded Contact.
  • Pratish153Pratish153 Posts: 11Member

@peteroznewman

Hi, thank you for helping me but I dont quite understand what u mean by "Edit the contact and select the faces of the holes in the brick for the Target side of the contact." I have followed your previous instruction but I am stuck here. Please help me out . Thank you :)

@Pratish153

Mechanical automatically detects contacts. Check for that first...

If your settings have auto generate contacts turned off, and the bodies are in separate parts, then the Explode feature makes it very easy to select the hole face and the cylinder face.

Here is the Bonded Contact with the Contact and Target side of the contact being defined.

If you can't use the Explode feature, then you use Hide to make the brick holes visible.

I can't seem to find the 'bonded contact' option. I did not make my brick with holes. I used CAD CAM software and just extruded a circle after creating a 3D brick model. Is this why I can't seem to find the 'bonded contact' option?

@Pratish153

You have to make a hole in the brick and put the cylinder in the hole in CAD.

Thank you man, it worked :)