How to establish parameters for Exponential Softening with Menetrey-Willam Model?

Hi guys,

I am validating my Menetrey William concrete model by replicating a compression test on a cylinder. The stress-strain curve i have created from the M-W model corresponds well with the experimental results as shown in the image below.

I was able to get uniaxial compressive strength and uniaxial tensile strength fromexperimental data. For the biaxial strenght and dilatancy angle i was able to source appropriate values from research literature.

However i cannot do this for the exponential softeneing used as it does not seem to be available. In my model i used parameters for exponential softening from another example, but of course i need to detail the rationale for choosing the value of each parameter in my research project.

Can anyone advise on how the parameters (shown below) for exponential softening are determined?

The parameters i used are shown at the end.

Thanks,

Michael

Answers

• jjdoylejjdoyle PittsburghPosts: 166Ansys Employee

Below are a few reference publications that address concrete validation studies you might find helpful.

Calibration and Validation of the Menetrey-Willam Constitutive Model for Concrete; Dmitriev, A; Novozhilov, Yu; Mikhalyuk, D; Lalin, V. Stroitel'stvo Unikal'nyh Zdanij i Sooruzenij; St. Petersburg Iss. 3, (2020): 1-22. DOI:10.18720/CUBS.88.4

Model Code for Concrete Structures 2010. International Federation for Structural Concrete, 2013. ISBN: 978-3-433-03061-5, 434 p. Thacker, B.H., Doebling, S.W., Hemez, F.M., Anderson, M.C., Pepin, J.E., Rodriguez, E.A.

Concepts of Model Verification and Validation. Technical report, Los Alamos National Lab., Los Alamos, NM, United States. 2004. 28 p. DOI: 10.2172/835920.

Oreskes, N., Shrader-Frechette, K., Belitz, K. ; Verification, Validation, and Confirmation of Numerical Models in the Earth Sciences. Science. 1994. 263(5147). Pp. 641–646. DOI:10.1126/science.263.5147.641.