Different Meshing for same settings for thick plates

mauryamaurya india Member Posts: 39
edited October 16 in Structural Mechanics

Hello Dear

I design one thick hollow curvature box. It has four faces. The top and bottom faces are face meshed with 8 mm size element. But they are giving different meshing for top and bottom.

Edges have meshed with 2 mm element, edges shown below.

I am suffering again and again with the same problem.

Thank you

Comments

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Posts: 12,758Member
    edited October 16

@maurya

You show a solid body that has 8 faces, not 4 faces, since it has the topology of a U-channel.

Have you examined this geometry in SpaceClaim on the Repair tab and removed extra edges and extra points?

If you want a clean and uniform hex mesh, slice that solid body up into 5 bodies: the two large faces, the side face and the two long corners. Then use the Share button on the Workbench tab.

• mauryamaurya indiaPosts: 131Member
    edited October 16

Thank you sir, @peteroznewman

I check the same and even I told the same in my Query, "https://forum.ansys.com/discussion/26374/why-same-option-of-meshing-giving-two-different-result#latest".

I showed the different parts but 1/4 model, my intention is to show the side edges only.

On your share comment, I have one query also.

Here I am showing the same model 1/4.

What is the difference between sharing the component here in a comparison to share in workbench

Thank you

edited October 16

@maurya

The difference is the Share button gives graphical feedback.

Use SpaceClaim to put the cover into its own component. In that component, slice the cover with four planes. One plane on the inside of side 1, another plane on the inside of side 2, a plane on the inside of the bottom and a plane on the inside of the top. The cover will now have a top, bottom, two sides, five edges and two corner solids. Those will all be sweepable bodies.

• mauryamaurya indiaPosts: 131Member
    edited October 17

Hello sir @peteroznewman

Thanks and the meshing problem is solved as you mentioned but it is difficult with multi-body.

To understand the difference between share I used both

1) Share in structure

2) Share in workbench option

1) Will give contact in Mechanical WB and 2) is not showing contact in mechanical WB. I tried once and will check again today still writing ....

Thank you

@maurya

Share in Workbench is a more robust option. You don't want any contact.