Magnetic Analysis of a Solenoid Actuator

et2536et2536 Member Posts: 3

Hi, I am new to Ansys and trying to follow the tutorials. In the "Magnetic Analysis of a Solenoid Actuator" tutorial there is a path for applying force:

"Main Menu> Preprocessor> Loads> Define Loads> Apply> Magnetic> Flag> Comp. Force/Torq"

The path is not exist in my version of Ansys. ( tried academic 19.1 and student 19.2). so what is missing and how can i cover this step in tutorial?

Thank you,

Comments

• KremellaKremella Admin Posts: 2,326
    edited November 2018

Hello,

Are you using ANSYS APDL for this analysis? Could you please confirm if you are talking about the following tutorial?

Thank you.

Best,

Karthik

• et2536et2536 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2018

Yes I am using Ansys APDL and I am talking about this tutorial.

• TechVidTechVid Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2020

Posted in 2018 and yet they haven't posted any solution yet!

This is sad.

Please answer, I'm facing the same issue.

• KremellaKremella Admin Posts: 2,326
    edited July 2020

Hello,

This tutorial was developed on an older version of Ansys. We are currently looking internally to update this.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and for your patience.

Best Regards,

Karthik

• AniketAniket Ansys Employee Posts: 1,211
    edited July 2020

Answering on behalf of Bill (wrbulat)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for letting us know about this problem. The PLANE13 element type used in the tutorial is still documented at 2020R1, but the command for triggering the calculation of magnetic forces that this element type relies on is no longer documented and has been removed from the GUI too.    One can enter this command on the MAPDL command line:  

fmagbc,'arm'

The single quotes are necessary. This will set the "flags" on the body of elements named "arm" that will enable calculation of magnetic forces acting upon them. Later, after solving and in post-processing, the user will need this command:  

fmagsum,'arm'

This will report the calculated forces acting on the body of elements named "arm".  

Another option is to use the current technology PLANE233 element types instead of legacy PLANE13. The new elements do not use the setting of "flags" to calculate forces. Instead, the EMFT command is used in post-processing to obtain forces.

More info at:

https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/Secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v201/en/ans_lof/Hlp_G_ELE2_2a.html

Regards, Bill