Dynamic mesh settings in Fluent for Two-Way FSI

TayyabaTayyaba Germany Member Posts: 28

Hi,

I have some questions regarding remeshing settings for two way FSI.

I am analyzing a turbulent flow for which I follow the minimum and maximum length scales information for setting the respective parameters. When I used a higher value for maximum length scale i.e. around 0.05 (m) it gives a coarser mesh around the structure after deformation. Then I changed this value to some lower value around 0.001 (m), the mesh around the structure becomes finer but it does not give the consistency in results for different flow velocities. For example : for the lower velocity case the deformation of the structure exceeding to that in highest velocity.

I don not change the other simulation parameters, is the difference in results is because of these remeshing scales?

Moreover there is also difference in results for the new remeshing scale (Max length scale: 0.001m ) as compared to the previous value (0.05 m).

Could any one please help me about this?

Kind Regards

Tayyaba

Comments

• KremellaKremella Posts: 3,122Admin

Hello,

I would assume that the two simulations you are talking about are transient. When you remesh, have you also changed the time-step size? Also, are both the simulations equally converged every single time step?

Out of curiosity - how much difference in results do you observe?

Karthik

• TayyabaTayyaba GermanyPosts: 105Member

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

Yes the simulations are transient.

I did not change the time step size for both remeshing settings. i.e I kept it same as 0.001 sec.

Yes, simulations are converging at each time step. It is giving a difference of around 9% in the structure moving frequency.

Kind regards

Tayyaba

Hello,

I'm glad the simulations are converging every time step. I'd go with the finer settings. I cannot be completely sure but I suspect that you might be seeing an artifact of the grid independence with your remesing settings.

Karthik

Hi,

thanks for your kind reply. Yes I am following the finer settings but the problem with these settings is that my results are not consistence with respwct to different flow velocities as I mentioned earlier in my initial post.

kind regards

Tayyaba

Hello,

Have you double-checked the simulation setup? Boundary and initial conditions, material properties, convergence, etc.? My suspicion is that it is not the remeshing settings that are causing this.

What is the problem you are attempting to solve? Could you briefly describe it so we can understand physics better?

Karthik

Hi,

Yes I have checked my setup again and again :(.

I am trying to see the behaviour of a thin flexible structure in a cross flow direction for Reynolds number around 7000. Therefore I am doing two-way transient simulations using ANSYS-WORKBENCH.

Regards

Tayyaba