B.Cs and other fluent setup for a simple 3D pipe flow problem with constant heat flux at wall

AnsyslearningAnsyslearning Member Posts: 1

Actually, I want to simulate a simple 3D pipe flow problem with constant heat flux at the wall in Ansys fluent. I have modeled a hollow cylinder, filled it with water and used named section as:

a) heat flux wall (i.e. outside surface of the cylinder),

b) right-insulated wall (right side cross-section of hollow cylinder)

c) left-insulated wall (left side cross-section of hollow cylinder)

d) inlet (fluid domain right side cross-sectional area)

e) outlet (fluid domain left side cross-sectional area)

And using proper B.Cs also using coupled wall in fluent set-up. But, while tracking outlet temperature, there is no change in temperature.

If someone can help me out...please

Thanking you!

Best Answer

Answers

• RobRob UKPosts: 11,730Forum Coordinator

Pictures will help.

• DrAmineDrAmine GermanyPosts: 7,890Forum Coordinator

And Heat Flux Report is more than helpful.

• AnsyslearningAnsyslearning Posts: 6Member

Thanks Rob and DrAmine for your quick response. I have attached some pictures for your ready reference. Please look into it and help me to get out of this problem.

I don't know why people insist on using O-grids now. Pave is much more efficient. I think your problem is the metal bit and liquid bit are in separate parts, use share topology and remesh to ensure a conformal grid. Or revise the non-conformal settings to allow heat transfer from the solid to fluid.

Dear Rob, your kind support is highly appreciated. But, as I am new to Ansys Fluent, I am still struggling with the same problem. As per your suggestion, I used 'share topology' and re-meshed my problem domain(picture attached), then tried to simulate it but there is no change in temperature as before(picture attached). I am not getting, where I am doing mistake. Whether 'share topology' and 'coupled wall interface' will do the same work? or anything i have to do with 'convection' in BCs setup?

Staff are not permitted to open attachments so please repost the images. The conformal mesh should give a wall & wall shadow pair that show as coupled. Do NOT change that and heat should be transferred. You can check this in the reports.

Oh! sure. I am reposting the images. When using share topology, mesh interface option is missing from fluent setup. Please tell, if anything I have to do with 'convection' in BCs setup...

Thanks. What did you set on the solid-fluid boundary?

Do you mean, what I set in fluent setup BC? As I mentioned, when using share topology, mesh interface (coupled wall interface) option is missing from fluent setup. Before this, I was using solid-fluid coupled wall interface in fluent setup.

I have created a name for solid-fluid boundary as 'wall interface' in 'create named selection'. Now it is coming like; 'wall_interface' and 'wall_interface-shadow' with default 'couple' thermal conditions in fluent BCs. But, there is no change in temperature.

From last couple of days, I am wondering for the solution, please help me out...

Thanks @Rob for all your help. Now, I am trying my best to solve this problem. If required, I will draw your attention.