Ring resonator modulator question

Stefan_1029Stefan_1029 Member Posts: 2

Within the ring resonator modulator example. I can't get my head around why there are 2 lengths for the active section (applied refractive index change) and an additional one for an active bent at 0V. Also, how is the coupling length modeled within this simulation, as I can see it's defined as a parameterized input in the simulation, but cannot see where the lengths are changing if any are changing?

Best,

Stefan.

Best Answer

• GWANGGWANG Posts: 112Ansys Employee
    Accepted Answer

Hi Stefan_1029,

This is a single bus ring and all the light if no loss in the ring pass will eventually pass through the ring and couple to the output. Could you please try adding some loss in the waveguide and see whether there are dips in the transmission.

Answers

Hi Stefan_1029,

Sorry that we cannot open up any attached files here so cannot see the picture. Are you referring to the Optical Modualtor element and the Waveguide element in the ring modulator? The OM and the waveguide element work together and together they actaully represent the active bend in the ring modulator. The waveguide is to represent the normal piece of waveguide without bias then the OM represents the index perturbation so together they represent for the active region in the modulator .

• Stefan_1029Stefan_1029 Posts: 5Member

Hi Gwang,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, this is the one I'm referring to:

I'm just slightly confused why in the modulated section there's a length associated with it, it feels counter-intuitive with this regard because it looks like doubling the length associated with the active part.

Best,

Stefan.

Hi Stefan_1029,

The length of the OM refers to the active region length. The active region length will be shorter or equal to the ring length, and since it only models the index perturbation, the length is not added to the whole ring. You may ignore this length when considering the ring length.

Hi @GWANG ,

Thank you for your reply. It's clear now for me, but just to confirm, if I would have an active length of 100 um, I will need both elements added to the layout. the active bent needs to be set to 100 um and the modulation segment to the same or ignored.

Best,

Stefan.

Hi Stefan_1029,

I believe the layout ideally would just be one piece of the active bend with electrical contscts for the bias, the OM is not an actual component. In INTC the OM and waveguide together represents the ring active bend.

Hi @GWANG ,

Thank you for the insight. This works perfectly now. I have one more final question. I'm trying to model an all-pass ring resonator but there seem to be no observable resonance dips in the transmission spectrum of the ONA if my model looks like this:

Can you please suggest if I'm doing something wrong here?

Best,

Stefan.