What information the Plastic strain contor gives me?

idreesidrees Member Posts: 5

Please anyone can clearify here what information the plastic strains gives me that i could notice physically? for instance if i wanna see changes in the width of this plate after the simulation i could apply directional deformation or total deformation and get the information how the plate deformed but what about the plastic strains?

Answers

• ssurassura Posts: 51Ansys Employee

Hello @idrees ,

Yes, you are totally right! You can note the change in width due to the loading via deformation.

Plastic strains are the non-recoverable strains generated when the loading is such that it exceeds the stress beyond the proportional limit in stress-strain curve, and on unloading, a permanent strain is generated though the load, causing stress is removed.

Interpreting the simulation, the values show the equivalent plastic strain which won't be recovered even after the unloading.

More information on Equivalent Plastic strain can be found in the link below-

1. Equivalent Plastic Strain (ansys.com)

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Sahil

• idreesidrees Posts: 21Member

Thank you for the good the good response!

So in the above example cantor the highest value is 58253, is this in all directions 'change in length/current length or just in a specific direction?

secondaly, mostly my teachers ask me to show us the plastic strains,what importance they have in physical sense as Directional deformation does?

• ssurassura Posts: 51Ansys Employee
    edited November 25

Hello @idrees ,

In Ansys Mechanical, Equivalent Plastic Strain is available as an output. Here, Equivalent strain, as the name is calculated as per the Von-Mises equations .(more on that from the resources mentioned below.)

So, deformation is associated with the given load, but when the load is removed and the stress lies in the elastic region, strain will cause the deformation to nullify.

Engineering Strain is the ratio of deformation experienced by the body in the direction of force to the original length. One lying in Plastic region of stress strain curve are plastic strains which cause a permanent deformation per length.

Interpreting from the simulation, 0.58253 is the equivalent strain, which represents any 3 dimensional state to a positive value.

Following links might be helpful-

1. Equivalent (von Mises) (ansys.com)
    2. Deformation (ansys.com)

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Sahil

How to access Ansys help links

Guidelines for Posting on Ansys Learning Forum