Continue simulation with new material properties and Analysis Time !

Alexander19Alexander19 Member Posts: 8

Hi everyone,

I am using ANSYS Workbench to simulate Static Structural problem. The flow of the simulation is shown in Figure below.

• 1st step: import temperature T0 (from 0 second to 1e-6 second).
  • 2nd step: perform simulation and use other software to get new temperature T1 (from 1e-6 to 10 s).
  • 3rd step: import temperature T1 (from 10 s to 10.000001 s)
  • 4th step: perform simulation and obtain new temperature T2.
  • ...repeat until get desired solution.

My questions are:

1. How to continue simulations atfter importing T1, T2 and so on? ( For example when I use Fluent, I can import .Dat file ,modify setup and continue simulation).
  2. What is "Analysis Time" (marked by red color)? (When I activate and deactivate some steps, there was something not as I expected).

Thank you so much.

Answers

• SheldonISheldonI Posts: 157Ansys Employee

Hi @Alexander19 ,

You mentioned that you are performing a "Static Structural" analysis. Is the structural analysis nonlinear? If you are performing something akin to co-simulation (iteratively passing deformation to another program to get 'new' temperatures), you don't need to restart the solution. Instead, just solve the solution again with the new temperatures.

In CFD, we 'continue' the solution because the solution is nonlinear, and having a starting value for pressures, velocities, etc. will help us converge to the solution faster (assuming here that you are talking about a steady-state CFD solution). However, in structural analysis, this isn't really required, so you can just have a new analysis. Structural analyses do have a 'restart' capability, but it's used to capture the actual load history (in a nonlinear analysis), not used in cases which you seem to be describing where you're trying to 'converge' to a unique solution using 2 different solvers.

The "Analysis Time" in the "Imported Body Temperature" refers to the thermal result simulation time you are taking. Although your structural analysis seems to be static (steady-state), you can 'import' a temperature from a transient thermal analysis, so this analysis time is indicating at which time you are importing the temperature field.

Regards,

Sheldon

• Alexander19Alexander19 Posts: 16Member

Thank you for your reply ,@SheldonI

My simulation is a nonlinear problem with creep phenomenon. It is similar to FSI problem (coupled by Static structural and Fluent but it is not coupled simultaneously). Because "new" temperature corresponds to "new" geometry obtained by Static structural simulation, result of creep can be different if we simulate from original geometry.

- For the "Analysis Time", I used "External data" for importing temperature profile to Static Structural module so there is no "Time Step" as in a transient thermal analysis.

• SheldonISheldonI Posts: 157Ansys Employee

Hi @Alexander19 ,

Thanks for your reply & clarification. I think I understand your situation better now.

Restarting the analysis is possible, but it is not an automated process. Just curious, but what program/software are you using for the thermal analysis? Is it possible to perform the thermal analysis in Mechanical? That may make it much easier, if you use the coupled thermal-structural elements, as it solves both thermal and structural problems together and automatically passes relevant information between the physics.

Regards,

Sheldon

• Alexander19Alexander19 Posts: 16Member

@SheldonI ,

I am using Fluent to obtain temperature distribution in Solid domain. This temperature distribution was saved to ".txt" file and then imported to Static structural module via "External data". The process is similar to one-way FSI coupling.