varying angle in ACP

sf22sf22 Member Posts: 3

Im attempting to use filament winding of +-54.7 deg. The dome section should have a gradual angle increase until +-90 deg. Is there an easy way to creating an alternating pattern of +- plies, or is it only possible to add such a table at OSS level, meaning a ply of + and - separately, which means one thick ply of + and another of - without alternating pattern?

Comments

• sharveysharvey San Diego, CAPosts: 167Member

Hello @sf22,

First, to get the gradual increase, you can use a table for the fiber angle lookup for the draping. The table is written with the element cartesian system, computes the spherical angle (0 at intersection with the cylinder, 90 at the apex), then using this angle, you can use whatever function for the fiber angle progression from 54.7 to 90. To setup such a table you can do in Excel but there are also python scripts that can run and generate.

Regarding creating the alternating plies, the easiest way is to use the excel feature

1.3.4. Toolbar (ansys.com)

This lets you exchange the layup in excel so quickly duplicate the layup in excel and then reimport it, to ACP.

Using this you can alternate the plies at the ply level instead of one thick ply of + and another of -

Let us know if these tips help.

Regards,

Sean

• sf22sf22 Posts: 7Member

Hallo,

Under Modeling Ply- Draping tab i chose "tabular values", and assigned a lookup table for Correction angle 1. However fiber angle remains constant according to whatever value entered in "angle" field

Hello,

How are you cofirming the fiber angle? In the toolbar pick the teal (light blue arrow) vector and it shows the drapped fiber direction. Does this help?

I'm having trouble posting images at moment, but if you hover over the different colored vectors it will say draped.

Regards,

Sean

• sf22sf22 Posts: 7Member
    edited January 23

Hello, the teal arrow was hidden before. I can now see the influence from the lookup table. Thanks!

Regards,

Hello @sf22

You are welcome!

Regards,

Sean