Topology Optimization

Hello,

I need help with steady-state thermal analysis with topology optimization. Is it possible to do it using workbench? 

I want to know how to do the analysis as physics type is thermal and not structural.

Thanks.

Comments

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    edited November 2018

Hello,

I don't think topology optimization works with a steady-state thermal model at Release 19.2.

However, there are many ways to optimize a system without topology optimization. Why don't you describe the optimization problem, what are you trying to minimize (or maximize), what constraints have you identified, what shape parameters have you identified, what properties can be used as parameters

Regards,
    Peter

• uschasuschas Member
    edited November 2018

Let's say a square block with convection condition 5 sides and heat flux at the bottom. I can parametrize the length, width, depth. But can I do topology optimization by maximizing heat flux and minimizing mass?

Thanks.

edited February 19

You are describing a heat sink, and fins are the conventional solution to this problem. I recommend you add two new features to your model, saw cuts along the length direction and saw cuts along the width direction (assuming the depth direction has the heat flux on the bottom face).

You can have three parameters in each direction for the number of cuts, the saw cut width and the saw cut depth. The saw cut depth should be a percentage of the part depth and not exceed 90% or some other constraint. The saw cut width will have constraints such as the minimum cut width, while the maximum cut width will depend on the number of cuts and the part length (or width for the other parameter).

If you assume symmetry, you can reduce the size of your model to a 1/4 model.  Here is an image from a recent post.

You will be doing Shape Optimization, not Topology Optimization because the topology is fixed by the parameters, though the number of cuts does change the topology, but in a very specific way, not organically like the Topology Optimizer would.

Regards,
    Peter

edited April 2019

Update:  ANSYS 2019 R1 supports Topology Optimization on a Steady State Thermal analysis.

• edited April 2019

It is a pretty new feature, and not available in 19.2

• CambridgeCambridge Member
    edited November 2019

Hi, Can ansys 19.2 run thermal topology optimization? Where can I find it? Thank you so much.

edited November 2019

Hi, can ansys 19.2 run thermal topology optimization? Do you have any tutorials? Thank you so much.

edited November 2019

Thermal Topology Optimization is not available in 19.2

It is available in 2019 R1 and later.

edited February 19

Dear Peter,

I am now using ANSYS 2019R2, it has TO for thermal but with some limitations. Do you have tutorials about TO using workbench? Thank you so much.

regards

edited February 19

I don't have anything. Search on YouTube and the ANSYS Help system.