3D Geometry

Hi,

I want to draw the following geometry in 3D. How can I do it?

I have drawn the lance and nozzle separately. Now If i want to put the nozzle in three locations, how can I do it? Is it the right way to get the above image?

Comments

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator
    edited January 2019

If the model is symmetrical you may be better off drawing one section and then copying it around to give a full 360 degree model. Remember you're building the fluid part: most people get confused and draw the metal bit.... 

• rumthrumth Member
    edited January 2019
    Yes, my one is symmetrical. If i draw half of design (lance with nozzle) and then revolve by 360 then would i get the expected geometry?
  • RobRob UKForum Coordinator
    edited January 2019

No, you may want to create half of one repeat (ie centre plane of one lance) and then mirror that. Then pattern that section round to give the 360 model. Normally I'd try and use symmetry but in this case I think the flow could be more interesting so may need the full domain. 

• rumthrumth Member
    edited January 2019
    Do you have any video to make it? It would be very helpful if I get it.
  • rumthrumth Member
    edited January 2019
    Hi Peter,

I need your help to draw the geometry. It seems difficult to me to do it.

Raju.
  • FrankDFrankD Concord, MAMember
    edited January 2019

Raju

You already have drawn the geometry -- though it seems that you have done it as separate solids, which is fine.

1) Make sure that your solids that I see above are in different Components (in the Structure Tree)

2) Locate your first blended solid nozzle at the correct angle and position, with respect to the central axis of the lance solid

3) At this point you should have the solid models occupying overlapping 3D space. Make a rotational pattern around the axis to get six of them. (or use the move tool and Ctrl-drag them around 6 times, it doesn't matter)

4) Use the Combine tool to subtract the 6 nozzle solids from the lance component, deleting the leftover bits from the Combine (Cut) operation

5) Or, do all this to half of the model and when you are done Mirror the solid to get the whole

F

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    edited January 2019

Raju,

I'm still learning SC, but this gets the shape right. A bit more work to make it to given dimension. I had the freedom of sketching by eye.

SpaceClaim 19.2 document attached.

Regards,
    Peter

• rumthrumth Member
    edited January 2019
    Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot for the video. I will do everything in Design modular.

I am trying to follow your video. I will let you know about the progress.

Thanks again,

Raju.
  • rumthrumth Member
    edited January 2019
    Hi Frank,

Thanks for your instruction. Yes, I made the lance and nozzle separately but failed to put the nozzle in desired location of lance. I sketched quarter portion of lance using points and then lines and then surface from lines. Then I revolved the sketch by 360 degree. I got the lance. In another workbench window I did the same for nozzle. When I am importing the nozzle in lance geometry, it is being fixed in a location. I can not moving the nozzle. Which is option/tool use to move the nozzle?

Thank you

Raju.
    edited January 2019

Hi Raju,

Frank's instructions are for SpaceClaim.

Regards,
    Peter

• rumthrumth Member
    edited January 2019
    Hi Peter,

Does your space claim instructions will fit for design modular?

Raju.
    edited January 2019

Hi Raju,

DesignModeler is a completely different environment for creating geometry than SpaceClaim.

Peter

• rumthrumth Member
    edited January 2019
    Hi Peter,

Is it possible to give a guideline video to make my geometry in design modular?

I will be grateful to you, if you do it please.

Raju.
  • rumthrumth Member
    edited January 2019

Hi Peter,

I am waiting for your guideline in design modular. I am totally stuck here.

Raju.

edited January 2019

Hi Raju,

Here is the DesignModeler 19.2 version. You can play the history from top to bottom of the Outline tree to see how it was constructed.

Peter

• rumthrumth Member
    edited January 2019

Hi Peter,

I am using Design Modeler 18.2. Attach file is not opening in my version. How can I open the file?

Extremely sorry for the unexpected problems.

Raju.

edited January 2019

Hi Raju,

To open the attached file, you have to install ANSYS 19.2.

Either the free Student version or a full Research version.

Peter

• rumthrumth Member
    edited January 2019

Hi Peter,

Thank you. I got the file.

My lance is connected with 5 nozzle and 2.5 symmetry. How can I keep the nozzles like following images?

edited January 2019

Hi Raju,

I agree with @rwoolhou that you should keep the full domain and not use symmetry as the flow may be complex and not symmetric.

Were you able to create the full solid geometry with 5 nozzles?

Have you created a solid model of the fluid geometry?

Regards,
    Peter

• rumthrumth Member
    edited January 2019

Hi Peter,

My whole domain is too large (11 m vs 8 m). So its a challenge to mesh it and simulate multi phase flow. That's why I am planning to simulate half of the body (symmetry).

I have made converter separately which is a solid body and I will define it as fluid.

It is possible to create lance with 5 nozzles (4 copies). But is it possible to keep the nozzles in the following angles where centerline to centerline of nozzle varies at 72 degree(0, 72, 144, 216, 188)?