Mesh Generation Taking a Long Time

Hi,

The following shows my dcb specimen. It has a triangular infill I generated using facets

Here are my mesh settings:

I also have a face sizing object for the two faces on the front and back of the specimen, and then another for the rest of faces. This is because I need the same number of elements on the top and bottom of the crack interface.

Even after an hour, the mesh progress is still the same:

I've completed a simulation with the same mesh settings on a DCB without the infill and it ran perfectly. Now, with the infill, I am running into this issue. How can I fix this (do I maybe just need to wait longer)?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    edited January 2019

The number of faces increased by a factor of several 100 so it's reasonable to have a similar increase in meshing time.

• AfrahAfrah Member
    edited January 2019

I waited overnight for the mesh to generate and it's still stuck "meshing edges (4/4)". Is this normal? 

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Member
    edited January 2019

You can use DesignModeler to count the number of faces or edges. 

Cut your model down by a factor of 100 and see if meshing will complete.

• farnazhd66farnazhd66 Member
    edited March 2019

Hi, 

I have also the same problem with my model. It takes almost 2 days now and still ongoing! I know that it is a complex model but I want to know whether it is normal to take such a long time or not.

and can you give me some tips on how to reduce meshing time? (mesh resolution is already set to the lowest)

many thanks,

Farnaz

• AfrahAfrah Member
    edited March 2019

Yes, that's completely normal I've been having the same problem for a while now. 

I did two things to reduce meshing time. First, as peteroznewman said, I decreased the number of faces in my model, significantly. Without doing so, I also would be running my model for 2 day +.

Also, use parallel processing if your CPU supports it, this also decreased my simulation time  (I  re-ran my simulation on a computer with 20 cores to parallelize, so it really helped me)