defining a plane as New Surface for a 2D geometry

Hi,

I have a 2D model in Fluent, and I have calculated the model. In processing the data, I am interested in plotting the calculated results on a smaller window/plane rather than on the whole geometry. But I can not define a "plane" using defining "new surface". Please see the figure below: The green area is the 2D (axi-symmetric) geometry. The "plane" option is inactive. and I want to plot the results for a rectangle area similar to the red rectangle I draw on the geometry.

Comments

• DrAmineDrAmine GermanyForum Coordinator
    edited February 2019

Perhaps you can do that by clipping the surface two or three times

• ZariZari Member
    edited March 2019

Thank you so much dear Amine,

Now I learned it. I did it in two steps, once clipped in X-coordination and then on y-coordination. Since other users may have the same question, I attached the steps in the figure below.

Now I can plot the results only on that area. But I cannot write it to a file. Do you know how can I do it? For instance, as the figure below shows, I have the plotted swirl velocity distribution on that area. I also have the data from experiments for same area. I need to export the model results (x, y, velocity) from the model (as from the figure below) to a file and compare it with experiments.

Thanks for your help,

Zari

• kkanadekkanade Forum Coordinator
    edited March 2019

thanks zari for updating solution. 

can you please mark this as 'is solution' to help others on forum. 

• ZariZari Member
    edited March 2019

Sure.

Then I asked another question in continue, about exporting field data from the clipped surface. Should I start a new discussion? Or it could be seen as it is now?

• DrAmineDrAmine GermanyForum Coordinator
    edited March 2019

You can try export it as ASCII file.