Remote Displacement with polar coordinates

Hello,

I had a problem, described here about moving the centroids of 12 plates placed cirularly along a tube in polar direction. I got a very helpful answer from SandeepMedikonda to use remote displacements to catch the centroids of my rectangular surface. That worked well so far, the only thing, I was wondering about, if there is a possibilty to use polar coordinate systems to indicate the direction of the remote displacement. I had defined a polar coordinate system and wanted to selct it for the remote- displacement - but I couldn't. It just lets me select cartesic coordinate systems. So I calculated by hand the (cartesic) x and z- component of my displacement with basic trigonometric functions. This worked of course, but I was wondering, if there is no possibility to specifiy a displacement in polar coordinates.

Had anyone faced a similar problem and knows how to solve it? 

Thank you,

Stephan

Comments

• amnteno1amnteno1 Member
    edited April 2019

I am attaching two Images to make the problem clear. Sorry, it is in German (where can I change the language btw?), but as you are familar with the structure tree, I hope you are able to understand the pictures. I have defined a polar coordinate System, which appears in the tree (first Image). However, when I want to select the coordinate System to be applied for the remote displacement (second Picture), I can't select it in the drop down menu. There are only cartesian coordinate Systems, e.g. the global coordinate System.

Any idea, why I can't select the polar System? Or do you know any trick how to make that possible?

Kind regards,

Stephan

• jj77jj77 Member
    edited April 2019

Tried it, but like you found out, it is not possible.

In a displacement BC (not remote displ.) one can though use a Cylindrical CS.

• amnteno1amnteno1 Member
    edited April 2019

Okay, thanks anyways for the confirmation, that it is simply not possible. So I'am at least sure, that i didn't overlook anything