ANSYS EDT 2019 R1: Unable to locate COM engine with RSM analysis

greigpgreigp Kingston, Ontario, CanadaMember Posts: 52

Good morning, 

One of our student subscribers has been setting up a remote compute node in the following manner.

Submit (user) node: Windows 10, 64-bit; ANSYS EDT 19.3

Remote (compute) node: Windows 10, 64-bit; ANSYS EDT 19.3

The following is his problem report. We have asked him if his group is using a job scheduler on the remote node, and await his reply. 

Do you have any suggestions for him? A search of your Knowledge Base doesn't seem to have any directly relevant solutions if we type in search terms from his internal support case. He is using IP addresses for his network cards.  

Our IT expert suggested that he turn off any firewalls between the two nodes. The 'ping' failure could be caused by the 'ping' feature being turned off (security?). We will have to confirm this to be true.

-&-&-&-&-&-&-

I have installed ANSYS EDT 2019 R1 on two Windows 10 systems. Both systems can run local analysis without issue. The 'remote' computer has port 3xxxx open. When attempt to run a remote analysis from the 'client' computer to the 'remote' computer, I receive this error: 

"Unable to locate or start COM engine on '127.xxx.xxx.xxx' : no response from COM engine, timed out (2:59 PM Apr 08, 2019)" 

When running a test of the machine from client to remote, I get the below;

"Checking Machine 127.xxx.xxx.xxx

Pinging machine 127.xxx.xx.xxx 
Error: Unable to ping machine 127.xxx.xxx.xxx, Reason: Request timed out.

Checking AnsoftRSMService availability on machine 127.xxx.xxx.xxx 
AnsoftRSMService is alive

This machine has multiple network cards. Additional configuration may be required...
The IP addresses for this machine are:

100.xxx.xxx.xxx 
127.xxx.xxx.xxx 

AnsoftRSMService is listening at 127.xxx.xxx.xxx : 3xxxx 
AnsoftRSMService is configured to allow remote solves

Checking list of registered engines on machine 127.xxx.xxx.xxx 

enscomengine:2019.1 is registered and available from Program Files/AnsysEM/AnsysEM19.3/Win64/ENSCOMENGINE.exe

EXTRACTOR2DCOMENGINE:2019.1 is registered and available from Program Files/AnsysEM/AnsysEM19.3/Win64/EXTRACTOR2DCOMENGINE.exe

HFIECOMENGINE:2019.1 is registered and available from Program Files/AnsysEM/AnsysEM19.3/Win64/HFIECOMENGINE.exe

HFSSCOMENGINE:2019.1 is registered and available from Program Files/AnsysEM/AnsysEM19.3/Win64/HFSSCOMENGINE.exe

ICEPAKCOMENGINE:2019.1 is registered and available from Program Files/AnsysEM/AnsysEM19.3/Win64/ICEPAKCOMENGINE.exe

MAXWELL2DCOMENGINE:2019.1 is registered and available from Program Files/AnsysEM/AnsysEM19.3/Win64/MAXWELL2DCOMENGINE.exe

MAXWELLCOMENGINE:2019.1 is registered and available from Program Files/AnsysEM/AnsysEM19.3/Win64/MAXWELLCOMENGINE.exe

MECHANICALCOMENGINE:2019.1 is registered and available from Program Files/AnsysEM/AnsysEM19.3/Win64/MechanicalComEngine.exe

Q3DCOMENGINE:2019.1 is registered and available from Program Files/AnsysEM/AnsysEM19.3/Win64/Q3DCOMENGINE.exe

RMXPRTCOMENGINE:2019.1 is registered and available from Program Files/AnsysEM/AnsysEM19.3/Win64/RMXPRTCOMENGINE.exe

SimplorerCOMEngine:2019.1 is registered and available from Program Files/AnsysEM/AnsysEM19.3/Win64/SimplorerCOMEngine.exe

desktopjob:ElectronicsDesktop2019.1 is registered and available from Program Files/AnsysEM/AnsysEM19.3/Win64/desktopjob.exe

nexxim:2019.1 is registered and available from Program Files/AnsysEM/AnsysEM19.3/Win64/nexxim.exe

spexporter:2019.1 is registered and available from Program Files/AnsysEM/AnsysEM19.3/Win64/spexporter.exe

Checking for jobs running registered engines on machine 127.xxx.xxx.xxx 
There are no jobs running registered product engines on this machine

Testing Completed.

Error: Some tests have failed. "

I believe the ping test failure isn't an issue?

Any suggestions on what could be the issue?

Comments

• mmadoremmadore Ansys Employee Posts: 717
    edited April 2019

Regarding the ping failure, you can disregard that, it is not a problem if that fails.

This could be a firewall on the remote machine. If they have the ability to disable the firewall for testing that would be the best option.

One suggestion, to address the multiple NIC is to go to Tools -> Options -> General Options -> Remote Analysis and in the Desktop-Engine Connection section, you can click the button for Specified and select the appropriate interface to use for the analysis.  It may also help to try setting the Specified User in the RSM Service Options in that same menu.

Thanks,

Matt

• greigpgreigp Kingston, Ontario, CanadaMember Posts: 52
    edited April 2019

Hello,

Thank you, Mr. Madore. We have forwarded your advice to the student in question.

Regards,

CMC MIcrosystems' Technical Support staff

• greigpgreigp Kingston, Ontario, CanadaMember Posts: 52
    edited April 2019

Good morning,

Our student is still suffering from the same trouble, Mr. Madore. We've directed him to this support case for additional help, if you don't mind. 

We deal primarily with Linux systems for multi-core simulations, so this case has flummoxed us. We'll see what we can improvise this quarter to learn more about Windows HPC environments. 

Thank you again for looking over this problem. 

• mmadoremmadore Ansys Employee Posts: 717
    edited April 2019

Do they have their installations in the same directories on each of the machines?

Thanks

Matt

• EQSLIQCEQSLIQC Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2019

Hello Matt,

Yes, they are both installed under "C:\Program Files\AnsysEM\AnsysEM19.3"

• tsiriakstsiriaks 3240 El Camino Real #290, Irvine, CA 92602Forum Coordinator Posts: 3,071
    edited April 2019

What is the content of C:\Program Files\AnsysEM\RSM\Win64\ansoftrsmservice.log   on the remote machine ?

edited April 2019

There is nothing in the log files (just a blank text file). Just to double check, by remote machine you mean the 'server' I am wishing to remote solve to?

• tsiriakstsiriaks 3240 El Camino Real #290, Irvine, CA 92602Forum Coordinator Posts: 3,071
    edited April 2019

"Just to double check, by remote machine you mean the 'server' I am wishing to remote solve to?"

Yes, that's correct.

On the local machine, under the HPC and Analysis Options, please try using the hostname of the remote (server) machine instead of using the IP address.

If that doesn't help, please post the screenshots of

1. HPC and Analysis Options > Edit

2.  Tools > Options > General Options > Remote Analysis

3. Open CMD Prompt, then

ping < server_hostname >  

replace the < server_hostname > with the actual server hostname that you are using in HPC and Analysis Options.

Thanks,

Win

edited May 2019

Hello Win,

Apologies on the delayed response. Attempted your suggestion but it caused no change in the error. As requested, the screenshots.

Using 'service user' or 'specified user' with appropriate username and password had no impact on the error either.

edited May 2019

Hello EQSLIQC,

Thank you for the info.

Now this is odd. The 'Test Machine' result earlier on the original post of this thread indicates that the remote (server) machine has the following IP's

100.xxx.xxx.xxx 

127.xxx.xxx.xxx 

However, your ping result shows 129.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Could you do the Test Machine again while specifying the hostname like this in your HPC and Analysis Options ?

Thanks,

Win

edited May 2019

Hi Win,

That was an error from greigp, the ip has always been

10.xxx.xxx.xxx

129.xxx.xxx.xxx

When running the test using the hostname I get the same result.

edited May 2019

Hello EQSLIQC,

Have you tried specifying this 129.xxx.xxx.xxx  IP in Tools > Options > General Options > Remote Analysis > Specified Address 

If this doesn't help, please try temporarily disable all Firewall, security, anti-virus software on the remote machine.

Thanks,

Win

edited May 2019

Hello Win,

The error remains the same. "Test Machine" results in the ping test working when the firewall is disabled.

edited May 2019

From the client (local) machine, please re-post the screenshots of the following with your current setting

1. HPC and Analysis Options

2. Tools > Options > General Options > Remote Analysis

3. Error message

Thanks,

Win

edited May 2019

Hello Win,

Pleas find the requested screenshots here; https://imgur.com/a/Wlmb6s1

edited May 2019

Thanks for the screenshots.

On your last screenshot, can you also try specifying the (IP) Address with  129.xxx.xxx.xxx  IP ? If everything is setup correctly, the drop down menu should automatically includes the 129.xxx.xxx.xxx IP in there (you shouldn't even have to type this IP address)

Thanks,

Win

edited May 2019

Hi Win,

Apologies on the delayed response. I am afraid I no longer have access to the system for testing and the group will just remote in manually via VNC instead of attempting remote simulations through EDT.  Thank you for your assistance in trying to solve this issue though,

edited May 2019

Ah, ok. Sounds good. Thank you for letting us know.

If you have a chance to test in the future, I would recommend to try the above suggestion as the first test.

Thanks,

Win

• mouadhrecmouadhrec Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2020

hello 

i found a solution to the problem  "unable to locate or start com engine on 'local machine' no response from com engine timed out " 

and i just wanted to share it here ! 

i was installing software called PRTG ,it uses local host address ,so ,the local simulator in HFSS could not run 

now i deleted it ,and the engine worked fine ! 

hope it helps you 

edited May 2020

Thank you for sharing your resolution.

However, the OP has a different issue. The local solve works fine but the issue happens with remote solve (RSM)