Voltage Result not recognized in Mechanical

Hello all,

I am learning to use the Coupled Fields ACT extension's tools to do piezoelectric simulation and I am testing a simple setup where a cube piezoelectric body is subject to deformation and I want to measure the voltage generated. However, when I want to solve for the voltage, the program says that the VOLTdefined result is not recognized. It shows the following message:

"Unable to create user defined result. VOLT is not a recognized result in: 59 = VOLT"

Attached is an image of my current setup. Is this a problem with mechanical not recognizing my extension? If so, how do I make sure it does?

Comments

• HuiLiuHuiLiu Member
    edited July 2019

Hi

Could you use Piezo & MEMS ACT instead? Also a good check is to see in your solver.out file what element types you have. You should have element type 226 or 227 if Piezo is included

• sehallsanchezsehallsanchez Member
    edited July 2019

Hello,

I checked the type of elements I am using and they seem to be of type Solid 186. How do I change them to be type 226 or 227? Thank you.

• edited July 2019
    edited July 2019

Hello, 

Thank you for your help so far. I added into the command line the following: 

"et,matid,226"

However I have the following errors in my Solver Information:

*****  ANSYS SOLVE    COMMAND  *****

*** WARNING ***                         CP =       0.391   TIME= 1506
     There are no degrees of freedom defined.                               

*** WARNING ***                         CP =       0.391   TIME= 1506
     Element shape checking is currently inactive.  Issue SHPP,ON or        
     SHPP,WARN to reactivate, if desired.                                   

*** ERROR ***                           CP =       0.391   TIME= 1506
     SOLID226 element 1 must have a nonzero KEYOPT(1) value.  

Thank you.

• edited July 2019

Please read through the docs on SOLID226.

You would have to specify KEYOPT(1) = 1001 for Piezoelectric or Electrostatic-Structural analysis.

If you are not familiar with APDL, you might find this article helpful.

How to access ANSYS ONLINE Help

• HuiLiuHuiLiu Member
    edited July 2019

You can use command object to change the element type and apply BCs loading etc, like Sandeep pointed out. A simpler way is to use the Piezo & MEMS ACT instead of coupled field ACT you have right now. I think the latter is no longer maintained, since a few versions back...

edited July 2019

Thank you so very much to both of you. I learned how to change to the solid type 226 but was still having a little bit of trouble. I finally switched to the Piezo & MEMS extension and not it is working fine.

• HeMengHeMeng WuHan,ChinaMember
    edited July 2019

HI,I have the same problem?

Do you solve it?